Very swollen paws

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Very swollen paws

Postby mgrucker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:15 am

Pheasant opener was this weekend any my 8 month old pudelpointers first real hunting trip. I guess we overdid it a bit because all four of his pads/toes are now severely swollen. I'll be calling the vet to make an appointment as soon as they open this morning but wanted to know if there was anything else I could be doing in the meantime. He has had some problems with skin infections that we think might be allergy related so I've given him benadryl last night and this morning to see if that does anything but doesn't seem to have an affect. I also soaked his feet for about 15 minutes in the bath and tried to make sure there was nothing stuck in there. I didn't see anything but it's hard to say since he's not very cooperative with me checking, he doesn't even want to walk let alone let me poke around. It's all four paws though and they are pretty beat up. I also picked up some epsom salt this morning to soak his feet with since I read that can help with swelling and will try that later today. He's also licking them a lot so I'll be picking up a cone today since I assume I need to prevent that. Anything else to do or just wait for the vet?
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Very swollen paws

Postby blue04 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:40 am

All 4 paws at the same time would seem to indicate over-use rather than injury. But I'd be headed to the vet for an opinion.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mgrucker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:46 am

blue04 wrote:All 4 paws at the same time would seem to indicate over-use rather than injury. But I'd be headed to the vet for an opinion.

That's what I was thinking too and I have an appointment for this afternoon. Thanks.
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:55 am

Epsom salt soaks can be soothing and prevent infection.

How much Benadryl are you giving for your dogs weight? I wouldn't expect it to be helpful for this but most people under-dose so it's worth checking.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mgrucker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:How much Benadryl are you giving for your dogs weight? I wouldn't expect it to be helpful for this but most people under-dose so it's worth checking.

He weighs about 52 lbs and I gave him 50mg.
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:09 am

I doubt a vet will offer much. Rest and epsom salt is all the dog needs.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mgrucker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:24 am

orhunter wrote:I doubt a vet will offer much. Rest and epsom salt is all the dog needs.

Thanks, I hope so! I also want them to check out his eye that got pretty beat up, didn't mention that. I'm sure that will be fine on it's own too but it doesn't cost anything to check since I'm on a "wellness plan" with vet that is a flat monthly fee and any visit is included and you just pay for medicines or extra services. I've been getting my money's worth with this dog but I wonder what they must think I'm doing to this poor dog. :shock:
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:35 am

mgrucker wrote:
Misskiwi67 wrote:How much Benadryl are you giving for your dogs weight? I wouldn't expect it to be helpful for this but most people under-dose so it's worth checking.

He weighs about 52 lbs and I gave him 50mg.

Perfect. Hopefully a couple days off is all he needs. Keep us posted!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:06 am

Getting your money's worth." Yea, hunting dogs have a habit of doing this to their owners. I spent more on vet bills in the first couple of months of getting my last dog and in the end, I had to diagnose the problem myself as the vet was clueless.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:03 pm

YEAH....Harv', I 've had to search hard to find a GOOD VET, one that understands the Trials and Tribulations we go through. It took a half dozen VET clinics until I found the prince of a fella I have now. What I like best about him, been using him now for over ten years, is that he doesn't treat my dogs...he corrects what ails em. No foo foo try this, or try that, a direct FIX based on his experiences afield wifff his gaggle of Pointing Houndsses. Yeah, there is no beating around the bush with him, just a CORRECTION. I don't have to explain to the Vet how and why I think I may have a tick borne virus, or how I might have Giardia from swimmin down at the NAVHDA swamp.
It's already implied wifff him. He's got some great dogs too.....If ya like WOOLEYs thatizz....I oughtta know, I trained em.
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare