Sick Pup.... :(

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Sick Pup.... :(

Postby Duckdog17 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:22 am

I'd noticed something "off" with Jäger for the last 4-5 days. It wasn't something I could put my finger on, but when you spend as much time with a dog as I have for the last 5-6 months being laid up with this shoulder injury,...you get pretty in tune with your dog.
Most of it was behavioral differences. Selective hearing, not near the spunk I'm used to seeing, slight confusion...etc. Just subtle things I noticed.

Even on our teal hunt this weekend, I'd told the guys I was hunting with that I thought he hadn't been feeling well. Naturally, their response was, "Looks like he's feeling great to me!", but I could see something.

Yesterday morning he acted ok, but still some of the above symptoms. By the afternoon, he'd regressed to being lethargic, tail tucked, and walking kind of stiff.
He was due for his yearly shots anyway, and my first suspicion was maybe he needed wormed. So, I took him down to the vet and he got his shots, and a dose of wormer.
Later that evening,...he didn't want anything to do with his food, and vomited up all of his wormer and the rest of his stomach contents.

I called the vet again, and he met us down at the clinic for a more thorough examination. He was running a fever and was definitely tender around his "gut" region.
I suspected a stomach bug of some type that was maybe compounded by the marsh water we hunted over the weekend and the vet agreed. We discussed at length the possibility of blue/green algae, but I really didn't think the marsh was the source. It was definitely some "ripe" water, but no real algae to speak of. He also stated that the biggest source he sees for blue/green algae poisoning is bird baths in the back yard.
Well, we don't have a bird bath, but I found an old pot that I'd put water in throughout the summer for hot day training. And, it definitely had some algae on the bottom of it, and it was definitely a blue/green color.

When we discussed the meds he put him on, and their effect if it was a blue/green algae situation, (an antibiotic injection, a steroid injection, six days worth of Simplicef, and six days of Metronidazole), he said that this should cover the spectrum of the affects of blue/green algae poisoning.

He was still definitely sick this morning, but he did eat most of his food and he's kept it down. He's also been fine with drinking water. As the morning has progressed,...so has he. He's definitely got more pep in his step and you can tell he's feeling a little better.

After losing my lab Rowdy almost 2 years ago now,...to something that started with these EXACT same symptoms,...I've been on pins and needles for the last day!
I just thought I'd share this in hopes that it might help someone else, and also to see what the resident Vets here had to add.

Check your yard for anything that might hold water. I can guarantee you there isn't another person out there that takes any better care of their animals than me, but this one got passed me...
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Sick Pup.... :(

Postby marysburg » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:39 am

Glad your pup is on the road to recovery, and thanks for giving the rest of us a heads-up on something so easily overlooked. Your observant nature, and a vet who will believe you, likely saved your pups life. Way to go.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:02 am

I can say for certain, it was not blue/green algae that caused the sick dog. Blue/green acts very quickly, usually causing death within a few minutes (or less) of ingestion. It gets a few dogs every summer here in Orygun.

Glad he is getting better. Keep us posted.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:41 pm

You might be right Harvey, but I've also read that minor doses of it aren't always fatal. I think it would be hard to be certain one way or the other.
And, I may never know.
I DO know that I hate seeing my dog sick! He's slowly progressed throughout the day, but things were sure looking sketchy last night...

The blue/green was just a possible theory as I have no idea what might have ailed him. He wasn't noticeably wormy at all, and I checked several times and even took a sample to the vet. Everything looked normal, he just had that wormy "look" to him.

Something else I've really noticed today...his smell. He definitely has a sick smell about him today. He hasn't thrown up since that one time last night, and he's ate plenty today, and drank plenty of water too,...so that's a great sign.

I'm wondering if one of the meds he's had either injected, or his pill form antibiotic is causing this smell??
I couldn't say if it's coming from his breath or if he's emitting it, but I definitely smell it.
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Must be spreading via the internet. My dog didn't eat her breakfast this morning, has the squirts. Could be mental? She's kinda quirky these days..... Heck, she's always been kinda quirky.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:18 pm

The not eating thing really freaks me out. Especially when you're used to seeing them dive in!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:28 pm

Is it a sick smell or the distinct smell of an infection. I had a young dog not acting right once and while I was checking it out I was facing the dog checking the eyes and I could definitely smell infection on the breath. Had an absess burst in his throat.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:59 am

I'm thinking it must be from the meds. Or, possibly from whatever caused him to be sick in the first place. It's definitely his breath. It's not overpowering by any means, just an odd smell. He's been to the vet twice now throughout this ordeal, and he did take a look inside his mouth, but I also wouldn't say he looked down his throat.
He's definitely much, much improved.
These darn critters of ours...They can go through so much without so much as a hiccup, and then the littlest things can put them down...
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:02 am

My dog has skipped three meals now and I'm going to take her to the vet today if I can get in. I hate to do it because I know what's wrong with her (commonly called Salmonosis) and don't want to spend the money for a checkup etc. when all she needs is Tetracycline. I generally keep it on hand and thought I had some but must have tossed it when it passed the expiration date.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:15 am

orhunter wrote:My dog has skipped three meals now and I'm going to take her to the vet today if I can get in. I hate to do it because I know what's wrong with her (commonly called Salmonosis) and don't want to spend the money for a checkup etc. when all she needs is Tetracycline. I generally keep it on hand and thought I had some but must have tossed it when it passed the expiration date.

You can get tetracycline at the pet shop here in the fish section. Probably can in Oregon also.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks Hicntry. You saved me some money.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 am

DD17: How's yer pup doing? Back to normal?

Ellie started getting better after the first dose of Tet. She's back eating and drinking a lot of water but I have her on a bland diet of brown rice and burger with chicken gizzards. When giving Tet. ya gotta take calcium out of their diet as the Tet bonds with the calcium and doesn't work as well. No yogurt/dairy products, eggs or their regular food.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:21 pm

He's much much improved, but not quite 100%,...but neither am I so we make quite the pair. ;)
His eating and drinking were back to normal the next day after the vet visit, but I still notice a little lethargy, and maybe a little confusion? I suspect the meds have him feeling a little poopy too.
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:51 am

Make sure to push fluids, soak his kibble if needed. Dogs are easily dehydrated with illness and this delays recovery. If he's not better in another 24-36 hours get some bloodwork and X-rays, steroids will make your dog feel better but do nothing else, so your pup may or may not actually be better.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:24 am

Just a little update:

Jäger appears to be back to normal. His pep level is back, and any of the little "quirks" I'd noticed, but I suspect no one else could have disappeared....
But,...he hasn't totally regained his appetite. He's still excited for his 2 feedings a day, just like he used to be. But he can't seem to finish his bowl in one sitting.
He'll go walk around a bit,...take a short break, then go finish it.
That, in and of itself, probably wouldn't throw up a red flag to most people, but he's NEVER been like that.

So,...yesterday evening he took his last antibiotic, and I'm hoping that maybe they have something to do with this. I know that when I take antibiotics, they really mess my stomach up.
I think I'll stop and pick him up some plain yogurt today to maybe help get his digestive tract back on track.

Hopefully that's it!

Kevin
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare