Purina's "Take" on Ingredients

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Purina's "Take" on Ingredients

Postby Doc E » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:47 am

I just looked at this page on the Purina site.
While Purina has some top grade nutritionists on staff, I don't agree with some of what they say.
We're leaving for an HRC Hunt Test today, so I won't have time to comment until we get back on the 7th or 8th -- but I'll come back to this thread when we get back and 're-chime' in.

Here's the Purina link : https://www.purinaproclub.com/tools/spread-the-word/myths-facts/by-products

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Purina's "Take" on Ingredients

Postby mbulg » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:51 pm

I got this link today which may fill in some blanks:

Has This Pet Food Giant Opened an Embarrassing Can of Worms?
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... =577031770
mbulg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby rustysaber » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 am

First I don't buy buy any can dog food
But there is one huge difference with blue buffalo an Purina. Bule buffalo does not produce there own it is a brand and distribution only as a brand. Same as iames an many more top brands yes they do own there formulas but they depend on other companys to produce there product.
If you put a whole chicken through a mill or grinder would not that be a chicken an bone mill? An how much nutrition do you get out of dehydrated vegetables an frut then cook them untill the meat is thuorly cooked? Oh an the same company that caned all that pet food that killed hunders of dog for useing product from china is still in business only under a new name.
An yes they make bule buffalo. All am saing is a lot of smoke an mirrors to look thru. Now would I use blue buffalo yes I would just I don't like can dog food. As far as dry dog food I can't commit on . But is it not all a mill ?
Lees Rusty Sabre 7/15/10 - 7/21/14
rustysaber
Started
Started

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:47 am

I agree about by products being more nutritious.

I disagree about dyes - they serve no nutritional purpose and therefore have no place in dog food. My dog does not care if her food is poo brown or pretty red.

I had been feeding a fancy holistic grain free $60 a bag food for years. When I got my pup I switched to pro plan large breed. I saw NO CHANGE in my house dog with the less expensive food. You can bet I won't be wasting money on grain free hype anytime soon.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Chadwick » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:54 pm

I ended up switching to a grain free food because of the issues that I read about with arsenic in rice. I figured that if they ever started to test all rice for arsenic. the rice with the highest arsenic would get diverted to non-food-animal animal feed. Until my griffon, the last 3 hunting dogs I had died at under 10 years of age from weird forms of cancer in the digestive system.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:06 pm

That's interesting Chadwick. My previous dog who had food allergies, had been on various grain free foods since his diagnosis at 14 months of age. He died of intestinal adenocarcinoma a week before his 8th birthday.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:21 am

Chadwick wrote:I ended up switching to a grain free food because of the issues that I read about with arsenic in rice.

I don't know how many states have banned arsenic in chicken feed (but many -- maybe ?all? have) but in most Asian countries, it is still used (so know the original source of any chicken). Arsenic is used because it markedly increases the chicken's appetite and thus rate of growth. The chickens are going to be butchered before the arsenic kills them, but the arsenic remains in the meat.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rustysaber » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Even if all states has ban on arsnic feed the hormone enriched feed is still there an we don't know the side affects that will cause in the near future. Maybe the so called rangefed orgainc chickens is better but most of us can not afford these high price feed .
In the 60's it took a chick to slaughter around 16 weeks in the 80's around 12 weeks now its about 7 weeks after 9 weeks they become lame an they die .
Lees Rusty Sabre 7/15/10 - 7/21/14
rustysaber
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare