Feeding Fido Raw Pet Food a Risky Choice: FDA

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Postby spinster » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:14 pm

Source: http://consumer.healthday.com/vitamins- ... 89336.html

Doing so raises risk of food poisoning for both you and your pet, agency warns

TUESDAY, July 1, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- You may think you're doing what's best for your beloved pets when you feed them raw food, but you're actually putting their health -- and yours -- at risk, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warns.

Raw pet food -- which consists primarily of uncooked meat or poultry, organs and bones -- can carry disease-causing bacteria. Two types of bacteria are particularly dangerous to both pets and people -- salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes.

People who favor a raw diet for their pets often note that feral dogs and cats catch prey and eat it raw, noted Dr. William Burkholder, veterinary medical officer in the agency's division of animal feeds.

"That's true, but we don't know how many of these animals get sick or die as a result of doing that. Since sick feral animals are rarely taken to a veterinarian when they're ill, there's no way to collect that information," he said in an agency news release...
spinster
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Feeding Fido Raw Pet Food a Risky Choice: FDA

Postby Chadwick » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Pure conjecture.
Chadwick
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 pm

They say the same thing (lysteria) about consuming raw milk and it's not true, certainly not in the last probably 50 years. The raw milk I drink (the good bacteria is great for your system) is tested more than any processed dairy products on store shelves. This is just the typical overprotective "warning" or "scare" from big government.

In my twenties I had an acute case of Salmonella, I almost died from it. Kidneys, liver started shutting down. I was in danger of a heart attack too. Spent a week in the hospital hooked up to IVs and almost 2 months recovering. A number of us got sick, at least 3 of us were so extremely sick we spent at least 5 days in a hospital. Wanna know how we contracted it? Eating contaminated tortellini, a processed & packaged food!
Last edited by ryanr on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm calling BS !

IF a dog (or human) has a good immune system, all should be fine.
If a dog (or human) has a compromised immune system, there could be a problem.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Margaret » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Shouldn't be a problem if the meat is frozen or refrigerated fresh and with same care taken in storage as with food a person is going to eat.
Margaret
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:25 pm

Deer season here is in Sept. when it is at least in the 90's on up. I have had so many dogs feasting on gutpiles that are days old it isn't funny. Never had a problem with it. They drink and swim in cattle ponds that ar rank and brown and never had a problem with it. Dogs got a heck of a digestive system that eating crap and E-coli doesn't even affect. I gotta call BS also.....but I never let the dogs lick my face.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mbulg » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:44 am

I've read warnings about feeding raw salmon, which I wouldn’t do.

That being said, I have more faith in Mother Nature and a dog’s digestive system than I do the FDA, CDC, or any other governmental agency.
:wink:
mbulg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:03 am

I thought it was only me that thought the article was BS! Glad to see I was wrong!
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:04 am

Doc E wrote:I'm calling BS !

BS on the article or what I posted?
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:52 am

ryanr wrote:
Doc E wrote:I'm calling BS !

BS on the article or what I posted?

BS on what the FDA said -- Glad you posted it.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:05 am

Got it. The reason we got so sick was because it went undiagnosed and untreated for over 10 days. We were nearing the end of a 6-month Mediterranean deployment. Picked up a last load of supplies from the naval base in Rota, Spain for our transatlantic crossing which is 10 days. They served fresh tortellini that night for midnight rations. Lots of people ended up sick but three of us ate two bowls worth of the same batch and we ended up with the worst cases. Sick as hell, from both ends, by the morning. Medical told everyone it was a stomach bug and gave us some motrin! I could only drink water & didn't eat anything other than a couple pieces of fruit for the entire 10 day transatlantic. I was so weak I couldn't even leave the ship when we got to homeport. Had a shipmate get me a plane ticket home and order me a cab. He helped me off the ship and into the cab. I barely had the strength to hide my "sickness" and board the plane. Got home and my parents took me to the doctor the next morning. They did blood work and sent it out & when they got the lab results back later they called my mom and asked where I was. They told her the lab work showed my kidney & liver functions were failing and that my potassium level was so low I was in danger of a possible heart attack. My mom called me at my dad's house to say an ambulance was coming for me. By that time I could barely stand up. Helluva a way to start 2 weeks of leave! Complications from that ordeal lasted years.

Even having gone thru all that (and that was processed, packaged & cooked) I know that as long as the meat, etc has been cared for and stored properly you're fine. I certainly wouldn't overly worry about feeding my dog raw. Like I said the FDA tries to scare people about raw milk and the truth is it's probably safer than supermarket milk because most dairies that sell have their herd and the milk tested much more regularly. The whole reason pasteurization was needed was because the commercial urban dairies were so unsanitary the cows and milk became infected with the lysteria bacteria. So what they initially did was to "sterilize" the bad milk to make it safe to drink, killing not just the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria as well. That good bacteria helps maintain a healthy digestive & immune system.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:44 am

I have personally seen a dog that almost died of salmonella from being fed a raw chicken diet.

I still feed my dogs raw venison during deer season, and they get Nature's Variety Medallions for Thanksgiving. I don't feed raw because I feel its healthier, I feed it because its something different, and I'm a sushi lover myself.

There is significant evidence out there that dogs shed higher amounts of listeria, e-coli and salmonella when fed a raw food diet. I'm not sure on published reports of humans contracting these infections from their dogs, but we do know salmonella shedding from other pet species, such as aquatic turtles, causes numerous illnesses annually. I think as raw diets continue to become more popular we will start to see more human illnesses, particularly in small children.

The FDA has no stake in selling dog food. They aren't publishing these recommendations without reason.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:46 pm

Picked up something last month that lasted about a week. Couldn't figure out what was off but I knew something wasn't just right because I would break into a fever and had some pretty severe pains in the lower groin. The I was starting to feel a bit better when we got a letter from COSTCO on a bad batch of cottage cheese that was left out. Yeh, it was the same batch # and then I knew what caused it because I am the only one that eats cottage cheese here. Took it back to Costco and they took a report wanting to know if I had seen a doctor. Fat chance, I could already tell something was off. Didn't need a doctor to tell me that. LOL

As far as raw chicken and dogs, I fed it to yards full of dogs and pups every winter when it was cold. One time I got a batch from the wholesale meat place that smelled so bad I had to take it outside to cut it up. I did call the place and let them know the batch # and that they had some bad chicken. Why did I feed it to the dogs.....because I have seen them eat far worse stuff when hunting. Over the years, I have had to return more known brand dog foods because it was bad.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Food poisioning in dogs is rare. The bigger concern is pets shedding salmonella or cambylobacter in the household. The pre-packaged "raw diets" in a tube in the little coolers on the pet food aisle have fairly dismal coliform counts. Rather than say "never never never", here are some risks to consider (Hicintry we know you have above average risk tolerance :lol: ).
1) if you or anyone in your household is immunosupressed by chemo, treatment for lupus ect. then feeding raw food is not recommended
2) the safest raw foods would be ingredients you would eat rare/raw. This excepts salmon from the Pacific Northwest but not AK due to salmon poisoning.
3) pork from feral hogs should not be fed raw due to risk of trichonella and pseudorabies.
4) in areas with high levels of endemic tuleremia raw wild rabbit is a significant risk.
5) dogs ARE susceptible to botulism so whenever possible prevent dogs from eating rancid carcasses and gut piles

FWIW I feed trimmings of beef, veniso, lamb, and fish raw as a treat. I would personally not feed an all raw "diet in a tube" commercial raw diet and feeding a well balance raw diet from scratch takes more effort than I want to expend. Feeding raw chicken and turkey probably isn't wise, we have occasionally proved salmonella and E. coli enteritis in some very sick dogs. It is rare however and I don't recomend prophylactic treatment just because dogs eat raw chicken. I know it's commonly done but for the average owner the risks likely outweigh the rewards. But as always it's a free country.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:58 pm

(Hicintry we know you have above average risk tolerance ).

More than likely Lanco. Don't go to doctors and never take antibiotics....just ride it out. Last time I was really sick was probably in the 70's. Remember the Hong Cong flu? Lost 25lbs in a bit over a week. Never had a flu shot, never will. Just seemed right since it worked for me, I handled the dogs pretty much the same way. I have to wonder when people are going to wise up when I see them using disinfectant wipes on shooping cart handles et. Won't be long before most people won't be immune to much of anything. Dogs are going down the same path.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare