Puppy Growing Pains

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Puppy Growing Pains

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:32 pm

Misskiwi: I think you're assuming animals process pain the same way as humans? You're not scoring any points here.

I will say I'm not against giving pain meds to our dogs but certainly not for extended periods. A day or two after spaying or other surgery or severe trauma. Beyond that, I question the need.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntnvet » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:05 am

Ok, I'm going to bite on that one orhntr.

I would think that most people in the twenty first century understand that non-human mammals process pain. So what part of the pain process do you think differs from us?

Just so I completely understand you, do you think dog breeds differ on how they process pain? Does a chimpanzee process pain differently than a human?
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:08 am

Huntnvet:

The short version.

Ever since animals began roaming the earth, they've found ways to survive. Those who acquired major injuries either coped or died. Their brains evolved to cope and has become one of the criterion for survival of the fittest.

Animals, man being one, who live in social communities and receive support from the other members when they're down, can survive when they're unable to cope. They can say, my toe hurts, I'm not going on the hunt today, with no lasting consequences. Their brains handle pain differently.

The end....
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:14 am

orhunter wrote:Something else about pain/inflammation medication. Inflammation is natures way of healing, increasing blood flow through the formation of capillaries or dilation of existing ones. It isn't necessarily part of the actual injury. Stuff that reduces inflammation, increases healing time by reducing the body's natural ability to heal its self. Man or dog, anti-inflammatories aren't the wonder drugs we've been taught to believe. This is especially true when dealing with bone or connective tissue injuries. Growing pains have a lot to do with connective tissue.

I could be wrong but I sorta disagree that inflammation or swelling is the body's way of healing. Yes, it's a result of the body's attempt at self protection from harmful stimuli and signals the very beginning of the healing process but I think the healing doesn't really take plus until the inflammation begins to subside. The faster the swelling goes down the faster the healing can take place. As a former athlete that's gone thru plenty of rehabbing of injuries, one of the first things to do is control the swelling of any injury. You can't really begin to heal or rehab until the inflammation is under control. That's also why rehab sessions typically end with icing down the injury, to keep the swelling down and promote further healing. It's also why more and more football teams are utilizing post-practice ice baths for all players. It keeps any inflammation in check and promotes better recovery in the body after a practice.

I think managing pain and inflammation is different than masking it entirely in order to compete (like so many do in the horse racing game which disgusts me because the horse has no choice or awareness in the matter. I competed with a broken arm/hand once but that was my choice and we didn't entirely mask the pain.)
Last edited by ryanr on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:22 am

Swelling and inflammation are two different things. Swelling can and does reduce blood flow which we all know is undesirable. If you break your leg, the one thing your Dr. will tell you is, "don't take aspirin." Aspirin is a wonder drug when it comes to reducing inflammation and that is the precise reason your Dr. doesn't want you to take it with your broken leg.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:04 am

First off, we are not talking about an injury. We are talking about pano and the "PAIN" that goes with it. The original poster can take the advice given by a few vets and that is fine and his choice. Medicate the dog and contol the pain.....then try to keep the dog quiet as possible to avoid him injuring further....because he has no pain. Of course you can sedate him a bit to make the task of keeping the dog under control manageable also. Or, you can change the diet and let the pano run it's course which is, normally, about two months. I just don't see the problem.....uncommon sense should dictate the choice. :wink:
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:09 am

I agree with Hicntry. It isn't a problem unless a person makes it one.
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby TimJ » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:45 am

A quick update.
First I was just wondering if Pano could be a possibility with how fast this showed up. No diagnosis has been done.
He is much better today, maybe just a little more tired then usual. For 36 hours it was hard to tell if he was sick or just very sore. Just when I was thinking rest wasn't going to do it and I should check with the vet he started moving better.

I will be keeping a close eye on him as this was not like any sprain or strain I've seen before.

Thank you to all that gave advice here and in PMs.

Tim
TimJ
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:06 pm

orhunter wrote:Swelling and inflammation are two different things.

Swelling is part of what is seen in inflamation.
4 signs of inflamation :
Redness (if it can be seen)
Swelling
Increased temperature
Pain

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster