Trial Results Promising For Curing Puppy Parvo

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Trial Results Promising For Curing Puppy Parvo

Postby Doc E » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Early tests performed on about 50 puppies in seven states for Grand Forks-based Avianax have resulted in a 90 percent cure rate for canine parvovirus, which spreads through animal waste and direct contact between dogs, usually at kennels, shelters and shows. Some puppies die from the virus and others are euthanized because the antibiotics and other medicine needed to treat it can be too expensive — sometimes up to $2,000 — and take too long.

Here's the link : http://bigstory.ap.org/article/trial-re ... pies-parvo

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Trial Results Promising For Curing Puppy Parvo

Postby SMAbby » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:17 pm

I hope that this works. I lost a fully vaccinated pup to Parvo and I will never forget it. Later in life when I worked in animal control, I would come across this a lot. it is heart breaking. The suffering is unforgettable and so is the smell.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:08 pm

SMAbby wrote:The suffering is unforgettable and so is the smell

You never forget that smell. We saw so much parvo in Northern Minn in the mid 80's it's was unreal. I can't tell you how many IV rigs I hooked up for folks in those days. Back , treatment was Iv's, gatoraid, thinking elecrolights, steamed hamburger and steamed rice would help if we get the pup to get some down. Today I hear young vets say if a pup is kept up on shot it'll never get parvo. do they get a ear full from me. my gut still turns today when I hear parvo. I had one guy tell me a year ago his pup had just gone through parvo and the test was positive. Then turn around a say I was a liar when I notified a couple of chapter members who had pups on the ground that it might be best not to go to this kennel for a while. we were holding a chapter event on his grounds in a couple of weeks. I ended up telling the HIGH CLASS chapter to take my membership and shove it.
Last edited by GPBLITZ on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 am

We have a 99% survival rate at my clinic- if cost is no object (blood transfusions etc). It gets so expensive so fast, and it's labor intensive and heartbreaking for everyone. I would love to have something like this instead of days of expensive supportive care.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:46 am

Parvo wunder cures have come an gone so many times now , septi-serum, tamiflu, plasma from recent vacinates ect. None have panned out. With basic supportive care most (90%) live with no holds barred care they can virtually all live (human albumin can bring back the super sad ones). Nothing thus far however has short circuited the week or so of illness that makes it all so costly. But I hope they publish data and prove me wrong 8) !
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:10 am

Well I saw some early data on this product today........... not exciting and quite incongruous. The survival rates in their "treatment group" were worse than most clinics with just basic IV fluids, anti-emetics and prophylactic antibiotics??????
And survival in the "supportive care only" group was comparable to untreated puppy survival rates??????
Smell like rendered crotalinae!
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:37 am

After 50 years in dogs and having seen and heard about a lot of cases of parvo, I suspect that there is a high % of post recovery complications from CNS disturbances to GI tract problems. Are there any statistics on this??
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare