Pork and GMO

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pork and GMO

Postby Doc E » Mon May 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Does the dog food that you are feeding contain Pork or Corn (or Soy) that is guaranteed GMO (GE) free ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Story at-a-glance

One of the best studies ever done to document the dangers of GM foods found that overall, inflammation levels were 2.6 times higher in GE-fed pigs than those fed a non-GE diet, and male pigs fared worse than the females
Most pigs raised in the US are fed a genetically engineered (GE) diet; typically a mixture of GE soy and corn. Recent research shows that such a diet causes severe inflammation in the pig’s stomach .

While sows were 2.2 times more likely to have severe stomach inflammation on a GE diet, male pigs were four times more likely to get severe stomach inflammation.

The GE diet tested simulated that consumed by a typical American, who will be exposed to a variety of different GE crops through their daily diet, not just one specific one at a time
Besides the hurdle of obtaining the GE seeds for testing, protected as they are by rigid patent laws, researchers who venture into GMO research must also be prepared to survive the personal and professional abuse.

You can check the references at the bottom of this link page :
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... =524454292

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Pork and GMO

Postby mbulg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:31 am

I prefer to avoid GMO if possible (just my opinion, more gut feeling than hard science). After doing a little research, I find my dog food contains canola oil (90% of canola is GMO).

So back to the drawing board.
mbulg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:03 am

Mblg:

A lot of mfgrs. are going to Canola because it contains Omega-3's. It's an advertising gimmick so they can make the claim and it is also very cheap to produce. Cheaper than fish oil which is what they should be using. Good dog foods do not contain added vegetable oil of any kind but a person has to read a lot of labels to find suitable foods. It is out there. I feed my dog a fried egg every morning for breakfast so she's getting plenty of Omega-3's without the crappy veggie oil.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:39 am

Nope, sorry dont think so. There are many things about Round Up Ready crops that are bad ecologically but in terms of harming people and animals who eat it only junk pseudoscience exists. No data, methods or journal citation = not real in my book. Pig production is a low profit margin highly data driven business in the US and if GMO crops were causing problems producers would see it in pigglet/sow and expected gain numbers and stop feeding it (they haven't). Chicken production has almost unbelievable data integration and can use production numbers to figure out when any issue is creeping in but Ms Goldy hasn't stopped feeding GMO. since modern civilization is ENTIRELY dependent on creatures altered from baseline genetics ( you run into any fried Indian Jungle Fowl at KFC?) I fail to understand the hysteria about this. If GMO food caused significant increases in GI inflammation then one might expect a downward bend in the US obesity curve as all those IBD and Krohnd cases accumulated, is that happening??? Is any of the researchers identifying a protein being produced by GMO crops (the DNA sequence is readily available at the patent office and thus the expected ammino acids produced could readily be discerned) that cause GI inflammation, brain damage or Godzilla ????
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby wrangler1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:11 pm

We make a conscious effort to buy meat that doesn't eat GMO feed so we eat organic beef and chicken.

For the dogs, there is only one dog food on the US market that comes from a country where GMO seeds and feeds were outlawed, back in 2000.

Italy, and the food is Farmina N&D, we get it on Chewy.com or SportDogfood.com, the site that sells Victor.

No Canola, No vegetable fats, no peas, no lentils, no chickpeas, just animal protein and animal fat.

Italy is one of the very few countries where GMO cultivation is banned by law.

Great food too...I am using this 35/20 formula..

http://usa.farmina.com/?q=content/produ ... n-recipe-0
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Doc E » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:48 am

Victor dog food contains no GMOs. I've been feeding Victor for a little over 4 months and am very impressed.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby desertdog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:27 am

lanco wrote:Nope, sorry dont think so. There are many things about Round Up Ready crops that are bad ecologically but in terms of harming people and animals who eat it only junk pseudoscience exists. No data, methods or journal citation = not real in my book. Pig production is a low profit margin highly data driven business in the US and if GMO crops were causing problems producers would see it in pigglet/sow and expected gain numbers and stop feeding it (they haven't). Chicken production has almost unbelievable data integration and can use production numbers to figure out when any issue is creeping in but Ms Goldy hasn't stopped feeding GMO. since modern civilization is ENTIRELY dependent on creatures altered from baseline genetics ( you run into any fried Indian Jungle Fowl at KFC?) I fail to understand the hysteria about this. If GMO food caused significant increases in GI inflammation then one might expect a downward bend in the US obesity curve as all those IBD and Krohnd cases accumulated, is that happening??? Is any of the researchers identifying a protein being produced by GMO crops (the DNA sequence is readily available at the patent office and thus the expected ammino acids produced could readily be discerned) that cause GI inflammation, brain damage or Godzilla ????

Right on..This is the overwhelming consensus among scientists.
There have been thousands of studies done on GMO..
desertdog
Pup
Pup

Postby wrangler1 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:29 am

[quote="Doc E"]Victor dog food contains no GMOs. I've been feeding Victor for a little over 4 months and am very impressed.

That depends on who you ask. All the yeast products and there are plenty in Victor are GMO strains and I am sure all the beef and chicken ingredients in Victor are from animals eating GMO Corn and Soy. The Bt Toxin varieties of corn and soy are really bad.

Sure, Sorghum is a NON-GMO crop but so what.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mustad » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:59 am

lanco wrote:Nope, sorry dont think so. There are many things about Round Up Ready crops that are bad ecologically but in terms of harming people and animals who eat it only junk pseudoscience exists. No data, methods or journal citation = not real in my book. Pig production is a low profit margin highly data driven business in the US and if GMO crops were causing problems producers would see it in pigglet/sow and expected gain numbers and stop feeding it (they haven't). Chicken production has almost unbelievable data integration and can use production numbers to figure out when any issue is creeping in but Ms Goldy hasn't stopped feeding GMO. since modern civilization is ENTIRELY dependent on creatures altered from baseline genetics ( you run into any fried Indian Jungle Fowl at KFC?) I fail to understand the hysteria about this. If GMO food caused significant increases in GI inflammation then one might expect a downward bend in the US obesity curve as all those IBD and Krohnd cases accumulated, is that happening??? Is any of the researchers identifying a protein being produced by GMO crops (the DNA sequence is readily available at the patent office and thus the expected ammino acids produced could readily be discerned) that cause GI inflammation, brain damage or Godzilla ????

I remember when the scientific community thought that tobacco was healthy and that one should consume multiple Dr. Peppers per day. Eggs were good for you, then bad for you and then good for you again. If you're going to follow a diet dictated by current medical research, good on you. Personally, I wonder how much is actual research and how much is propaganda driven by the size of the check written to do the study.

Fundamentally, I don't see how genetically modifying a living organism in order to withstand higher levels of pesticides and chemicals can be good for you and can see how any potential effects can be driven down the supply chain to the ultimate consumer. The one positive of GMO's is the drastic reduction in the unemployment rate among US lawyers so that Monsanto can sue any farmer who's crops have been cross contaminated by the ever declining bee population.

Back to the discussion at hand, how are Champion's lines?
mustad
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby CWT » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 am

Every common agricultural plant you or your dog eats is a GMO. It is called plant breeding!
CWT
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare