HELP!!! Possible Tumor, Rootbeer Colored Urine

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

HELP!!! Possible Tumor, Rootbeer Colored Urine

Postby Agarcia » Wed May 07, 2014 9:19 am

So I came home and my dog had urinated a thick dark red/brown, almost root beer looking pee. I collected it and took it and him to the vet. They wanted a cleaner sample and I got one the next day, still same color. They also performed an x-ray, and did blood work. The findings have hit me pretty hard. After four different x-rays they could no see most of his organs. The Radiologist consultant and the doctor believe he has a tumor on his spleen. The doctors said the urine, which I initially thought was blood, was bio from inside the body. His Red Blood cells are too low and platelets are too high. The recommendation is an exploratory surgery. I am already nearly $1000 in and cant really afford much more. I tried to attach xray images, blood work result, and radiologist report, but they were too big for the forum, but I can send to anyone who might want to see to give advice. We are considering putting him to sleep :^(
Agarcia
Pup
Pup
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 am

Re: HELP!!! Possible Tumor, Rootbeer Colored Urine

Postby Cobbhunts » Thu May 08, 2014 1:07 pm

I hate to hear that news.....PM me if you come back on. I can pass the x-rays to a friend that's a vet for a 2nd opinion, but it sure doesn;t sound good. You pictures didn't come through on this thread.
User avatar
Cobbhunts
Senior Poster
Senior Poster
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:22 pm
Location: KY

Re: HELP!!! Possible Tumor, Rootbeer Colored Urine

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:45 pm

Splenic tumor is good news compared to many - so long as it hasn't spread. Spleen is an unecessary organ, you can take the spleen out, stop the bleeding, and most dogs recover in a few days. About 1/3 of bleeding spleen tumors are NOT cancer. I would recommend the surgery if you can afford it. If you do it before he gets more sick, then you can expect 3-6 months good quality of life on average (some less, some more) even if cancer is present. If it has spread to liver and other organs, then you are expecting closer to 1-3 months after surgery. Up to you if that is worth the money or not... its a lot to spend on a dog with a potentially terminal diagnosis. And of course there is always a chance he won't make it through the surgery, and if that worst case scenario is not acceptable, then euthanasia is probably the best option. Do what you think will give you no regrets. If its trying, then try. If its the absolute prevention of suffering or dying in the hospital, then let him go.

If you aren't sure if you want to spend the money if the cancer has spread, then get a second opinion from someone who can do an ultrasound - you can check the liver and heart for metastatic tumors.

Good luck, its a tough decision, I've been there. I did the surgery, and had 2 months of normal quality life with my dog (different kind of cancer). Those two months were worth every penny ($2500). I don't know how I would have felt if it hadn't turned out that well.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
User avatar
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: HELP!!! Possible Tumor, Rootbeer Colored Urine

Postby orhunter » Thu May 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Very sad post. The toughest decision is the right one. Had to do the same thing almost two years ago. Still haunts me.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 7306
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: HELP!!! Possible Tumor, Rootbeer Colored Urine

Postby lanco » Fri May 09, 2014 11:11 pm

Although I have a slightly different perspective on the auspiciosness of splenic hemangiosarcoma than she does, Misskiwi's number are right on as far as survival times. There is a study from JAVMA a few years ago that indicated that older dog (over 10 or so) with larger masses (I believe greater than 8 cm) have a better prognosis since they are more likely to be non-cancerous causes of enlarged spleen and hemmorhage (most commonly extra medullary hematopoiesis) and of course surgery is curative in those cases. Bottom line is not every ability modern veterinary medicine has is the right answer for every situation. If you can accept the risk of bad outcomes ( I tend to think 3 month post-op survival is not really a "win")then surgery is a good choice ( It's what I would do for my dog but I get a really good price on surgery since I'm the one doing it) if you won't be able to pay your mortgage then know surgery for these cases is most often not curative and not having several thousand dollars for splenectomy, transfusions ect. doesn't make you a bad dog owner or a bad person, life just is what it is . Hope that helps, feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 am


Return to Healthcare

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron