Bowel Obstruction?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Bowel Obstruction?

Postby Dtpoet » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:37 pm

I'm concerned that our 6 month old, male vizsla has an obstruction. For several days, he's had diarrhea; sometimes really wet, sometimes just soft. Sometimes a dark color. Sometimes a light green or tannish color. In any case, it's not hard. He also appears to sometimes strain like he just can't get it all out and BM can sometimes be proceeded by a blast of gas. Sometimes at night, he moans a little but not all the time. He's eating normal. Drinking normal. We haven't changed his diet (Merrick grain free 70/30). He's energetic. He's exercising normal. He is not vomiting.

Any thoughts?
Dtpoet
Pup
Pup

Re: Bowel Obstruction?

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 am

Its probably not an obstruction if he's eating and not vomiting. That doesn't mean he didn't have something pass thats got his intestines pretty pissed off, but obstruction usually means a dog that doesn't want to move, won't eat, and is puking their guts out until they're too dehydrated to puke anymore. The moaning is probably gas pains, but its hard to say without x-rays. Can't rule out pancreatitis or parasites either without some testing.

After 3-4 days of liquid diarrhea I usually recommend a vet visit and some antibiotics. If you want to put it off another day since he's otherwise acting normal, try some plain yogurt with active cultures, or any other quality probiotic product. If the becomes lethargic, starts vomiting, or develops blood in the diarrhea he needs to see a vet the same day.

Good luck!
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:35 am

Diarrhea sometimes needs the help of a vet, shot, pills, $. Sometimes they respond very well to just a switch to a bland diet for a couple of days. Rice and ground turkey. After the pills, recharge the digestive tract with yogurt like MissK says.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Consult your vet,
But, canned pumpkin (pie filling), can also help to firm things up.
It actually works pretty well, so use sparingly.
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Dtpoet wrote:We haven't changed his diet (Merrick grain free 70/30).
Any thoughts?

Is 70/30 correct ? Protein/Fat?
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dtpoet » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Update - took him to vet on Wednesday. They tested stool - nothing. They x-rayed his stomach nothing. They put him on a medication. Thursday, the BM was getting less and less. Then, a gooey, green/brown starts coming our when he goes. Small amounts. The best I can describe it is it looks like snot or phlem. It was that color and that consistency. It also had strange poppy seed sized bright yellow dots in it. I called the vet. They said to wait a few days, if he doesn't improve they are going to recommend a GI. Late Friday night, the "snot" turned into a burst of "normal" looking diarrhea.

I'm getting concerned. I've known my vet for my entire life but it's now been around 10 days. We are going to canned pumpkin along with boiled rice and chicken. He is still energetic and playful
But I have notice a decrease in appetite though he's still eating.
Dtpoet
Pup
Pup

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:59 am

What medication is he on? X-rays and fecal test were appropriate first steps, sorry to hear your pups not better.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jed » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:45 pm

I had a dog with Addison's disease, and it first presented with these symptoms.
Jed
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Healthcare