MI: Brucellosis in dogs

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

MI: Brucellosis in dogs

Postby spinster » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:05 am

Michigan Officials Report Incurable Bacterial Disease In Dogs
November 26, 2013 3:54 PM

LANSING (WWJ/AP) - State officials say they’ve had three investigations into a bacterial disease that affects dogs in Michigan during the past four months.

The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development and State Veterinarian Dr. James Averill on Tuesday issued an update about Canine Brucellosis in dogs. They say the cases were investigated in Montcalm, Calhoun, and Mackinac counties...

Read more: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/11/26/ ... e-in-dogs/
spinster
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: MI: Brucellosis in dogs

Postby lanco » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:17 am

Brucella Canis is endemic throughout the US, don't no why this is suddenly news worthy. Always a good idea to require proof of a recent negative test before allowing your beastie to breed with another's. Darn now I'm recommending unneeded test and I'm the news story :crazyeyes: ! Hold on and I'll read the article and fact check :(
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: MI: Brucellosis in dogs

Postby lanco » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:33 am

That is actually a good article on the topic. Humans don't become persistently infected but it can make you ill. Testing before breeding is the only real way to prevent this and it is out there not just in MI. Hicntry I already know you won't be testing and that's fine too :lol:
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare