Clean Dog vs Dirty Dog.

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Clean Dog vs Dirty Dog.

Postby Okie4Life » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:24 pm

So with the Holidays coming up I was going to send my dog to the cleaners, as all the family seem to be taken with him.
As of lately he has been hunting a lot and just smells like a real dog should.

His coat has also developed into a dense somewhat oily natural type coat.

I just wonder will sending him to the groomers and making him fluffy be harder on him in the cold wet weather?
Will it be harder for him to shed the water, or easier for his coat to collect debris?
Or do you think he even notices when he looks so nice for the ladies?!?
Okie4Life
Started
Started

Re: Clean Dog vs Dirty Dog.

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Just tell the groomer not to over strip the undercoat. Any oils should replenish within a couple days. The only time my dogs get a paid grooming instead of a trip to the tub is when we go visit family and it always seems to make the dog easier to appreciate when some family aren't as dog-friendly as I am.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:27 pm

I shower with mine.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:46 pm

I have never bathed a dog in my life. If I want them clean, I comb them and brush them.....and I got hair bags. Put some perfume on them if it makes them more acceptable to others.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:48 am

WASH em...?
With water and soap...?
WHY?
Whenever I feel the need to give minez a wash, in the old horse trough, with soap, afterwards it never fails that the minute I have removed all lather, dried them off, got em all fluffed up and smelling like a civilized hound......they THEN find the nearest pile of HORSE APPLEs and give it a good rolling around to restore that aromatic SMELL......Good Grief :?
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Attidog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 am

A bath with just a bit of mild dishwashing soap should kill any fleas. With the way the monthly topical treatments seem to be losing effectiveness a bath a month or so is my plan. As Steve said any cleanliness won't last very long!
Attidog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby blue04 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 am

Attidog wrote:A bath with just a bit of mild dishwashing soap should kill any fleas.

I'm not vet, but I have serious doubts that a bath in mild dishwashing soap will kill fleas.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Attidog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:17 pm

blue04 wrote:Re: Clean Dog vs Dirty Dog.
by blue04 ยป Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 am

Attidog wrote:
A bath with just a bit of mild dishwashing soap should kill any fleas.

I'm not vet, but I have serious doubts that a bath in mild dishwashing soap will kill fleas.

I'm not a vet either, but if you use a flea comb and drop the flea into a little bowl of water with about 1 drop of dawn dish soap the flea will die in about 5 seconds of hitting a bubble. I've never seen a dead flea after a bath but from my flea comb experience I think its safe to assume if you can work the soapy water into the fur for just 10 seconds any fleas will be dead.
Attidog
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Healthcare