Puppy - Dog Food and Orthopedic Development

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Puppy - Dog Food and Orthopedic Development

Postby Doc E » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:11 pm

I posted this on the General Discussion viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17359

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:53 pm

So what measures are we willing to take with nutritional engineering to avoid orthopedic problems? Does that mean we don't have them if we can avoid them? Wouldn't we be better off to feed the dogs and breed the ones that don't develop orthopedic problems?

Not trying to argue...just trying to figure the whole premise out.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

Valid question. Sometimes I think we're splitting hairs when it comes to perfect nutrition.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dr Tim » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for posting, Tom.
Good stuff.
Dr Tim
Started
Started

Postby orhunter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Tom: Ya caught me. The splitting hairs wasn't so much about what we're feeding, it's the discussion. We all want what's best for the dog and many of us do what we can to provide that. It's the other people who buy rack food and expect the same results or don't care about the results. Us who read the label because we're concerned about what goes down the pipe and have the knowledge to make the right decision based on what's available, might be splitting hairs. Just a thought.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:04 pm

Some interesting "maybe's" have been mentioned in the course of this discussion. Over the years, I have fed just about everything. I have fed puppies adult kibble for the last 20+ years and never went back to puppy chow. Why? because I never had a problem. If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. When I fed puppy chows, pano was a big problem because the growth rate was too fast. Never had blown tendons or anything else in dogs that were worked hard. Because my dogs are outside dogs, I feed raw chicken and kibble during the cold months since I do live 30 miles from Yosemite. One piece of chicken daily cut my dog food bill from 30 to 35 forty lb. bags a month to 15 bags. What does that tell you? Maybe feed your dog some raw chicken if your wanting optimum performance in cold water retrieving??? The dark meat is what you want.

Letting parvo run it's course was mentioned. That is what I have always done. Didn't even know why the pups had the runs for several years, so I didn't worry too much about it. They had the runs for a few days and it was over. Never lost a pup out of a lot of litters. Brought in a pup someone owed me and put it with a litter I had. Pup was in bad shape after 10 days and I took it to the vet. Positive for parvo. I went home and brought in two of my pups from the same pen. They were like live wires....but both tested positive for parvo....twice. Vet had trouble believing this and had me call U C Davis's vet school. I explained it to them and their response was, "So what". That is what you are up against.

Same thing with HD. I have never had a problem because the dogs are raised outside.

Here is a pedigree to a breeding I did recently. 13 generations. No puppy chow, never give more than the first two vaccinations, dogs all been exposed to parvo as pups, all raised on adult food, no hip problems, no blown tendons. Not a dog I own has ever been in a vets office. I do give dogs, I am keeping Ester C, on a daily basis.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/ ... f9afff.jpg

And no UTI's because the dogs are never crated.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:17 am

To clarify on topic, I feed Kirkland super premium chicken, rice and vegetables. They start eating it at 3 1/2 week and that is what they get. The pedigree I posted shows a portion of the HC dogs that have been raised without puppy chows. The pups have free access to free feeding and start on the dry kibble at 3 1/2 weeks. I do supplement with raw chicken during the cold weather. I don't see all the problems I read about here with tendons joints, hips etc. One point I would like to make is, breeding as I do is supposed to weaken immune systems and cause all kinds of problems from skeletal on down the line. I think marketing of products rules today. It is mostly BS but it sells product. Most studies on nutrition and most other things fall pretty much into the same category.....about 90% BS.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare