Blue Buffalo puppy food

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Blue Buffalo puppy food

Postby wrangler1 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Newer studies have shown that protein levels are the least important of the criteria, completely opposite of what was originally thought when it was found adult foods worked better. This is why studies are important, just because something works better doesn't mean it's for the reasons you think.

Energy content is the most important, and this can be managed two ways, first with restricting fat to produce a lower calorie food, second by feeding for body condition. Large breed puppies should be kept thin, ideally a 4-5/9.

Calcium content is second, with 4% calcium shown to cause problems and 0.7-1.2% thought to be ideal for prevention.

Protein is more flexible, with newer recommendations falling in the 25-30% range. As a fun factoid, a study in racing dogs found greater than 35% protein reduced performance levels, so while protein can be an issue, it takes high levels to do so.

Puppy food is better than adult food because if you properly restrict intake, large breed puppy food is better formulated to provide the other micronutrients needed for growth. Puppies grow exponentially those first 4 months, so making sure they have what they need while restricting what they don't can be done better with a diet designed for the specific needs of that group of dogs.

The NRC, FDA & AAFCO have recently decided based on a dozen studies that calcium of what you stated is in fact dangerously low. The new guidelines for large breed puppies is now 1.30% to 1.80%. These changes will be reflected in 2014.

As for foods, Dr. Tim's and Annamaet are the only dry foods I would use.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:11 pm

That's not how I understood the summary of the changes to the guidelines. It was recommended to have a lower recommendation, but based in one study they elected to keep the recommendations for all dogs at a minimum of 1.2%. They are not meeting the recommendation for specific groups of dogs, they are picking the happy medium so any food is ok for any dog.

Notice they did the same for adult dogs - matched it to the puppy food recommendation, not because its necessary but to cover their butts for people who feed puppies adult food.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby wrangler1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:48 am

http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.petfoodins ... _Final.pdf

Here is a copy of the proposal.

You are right they are using one standard for all puppies but they note that the standard was driven by large breed puppy concerns.There was mention of having two standards.

I thinks it interesting they mention that 1.30% - 1.80% was thought to be ideal.

"The CNES increased the minimum calcium and phosphorus concentrations in the Growth and Reproduction
Profile to 1.2% and 1.0%, respectively, consistent with the 2006 NRC RA and
FEDIAF Guidelines. The CNES recommended that the calcium and phosphorus in
growth formulas for the large-bred or large-size dogs be allowed to decrease to 0.9%
and 0.75%, respectively, while still being judged to meet the Growth and Reproduction
Nutrient Profile. However, based on comments and a publication10 demonstrating that
some diets containing 0.88% to 1.04% Ca on a DM basis (2.2 to 2.6 g Ca/1000 kcal
ME) when fed to medium- or large-breed puppies produced inhibited growth in 10-
week growth studies compared to diets containing between 1.3 to 1.8% Ca, the
AAFCO Pet Food Committee elected to keep the minimum recommended calcium and
phosphorus concentrations in the Growth and Reproduction Nutrient Profile at 1.2%
and 1.0%, respectively, for all dog food products that substantiate nutritional adequacy Proposed Revisions Edited per Comments for 2014 Official Publication 10based on being formulated to meet the nutrient content of the Dog Food Nutrient
Profile for Growth and Reproduction. Because of concerns for excess calcium to produce detrimental effects in growing
dogs of large and giant breeds, the 2007 CNES deemed that additional restriction to
the maximum limit for calcium was warranted and lowered the maximum calcium
concentration to 1.8% DM. The CNES did not believe it necessary to decrease the
previous maximum calcium concentration of 2.5% for adult dogs or growing dogs of
small or moderate size breeds. However, the AAFCO Pet Food Committee felt that
only one maximum value should be established, especially to ensure all life stage
products were properly formulated. Thus, the AAFCO Pet Food Committee elected to
set the maximum calcium for all dog foods formulated to meet the Dog Food Nutrient
Profiles at 1.8% DM. The CNES retained the maximum phosphorus concentration of
1.6% DM for both profiles, as well as the minimum and maximum values of 1:1 and
2:1, respectively, for the calcium to phosphorus ratio."
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby hicntry » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Calvinator wrote:I do not consider the PP a large breed. Large breed to me is a Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound or Newfoundland. All the PP breeders I know do not feed a puppy kibble. I have had a few owners that switched their pup to a puppy food and it developed panostitis. Ones that were kept on adult kibble did not.

+1
I quit feeding puppy food because of that very reason. Saw way to much pano. Like wise many of my puppy buyers disregarded my advise to stay away from puppy food and opted to be responsible puppy owners....then I got to field the calls about their dogs hobbling around.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Healthcare