Blue Buffalo puppy food

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Blue Buffalo puppy food

Postby CoJim » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Would like input on Blue Buffalo puppy food. I have my 15 week old PP on it and started having issues with loose stools and weight lose. Took sample to have checked and found nothing wrong. Vet said to put him on chicken and rice diet for short period of time, and everything went back to normal. Started to get him back on the puppy food and it started all over again. Just wondering if any one else has had this issue?
Now I'm undecided on which food to go with I have worked in the Purina plant before and really don't want to go that direction as I have seen how the product is processed. Any input would be appreciated.
CoJim
Pup
Pup

Re: Blue Buffalo puppy food

Postby blue04 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:43 pm

CoJim wrote:I have worked in the Purina plant before and really don't want to go that direction as I have seen how the product is processed.

I suspect any of the "big brands" of dog food are going to be processed in a similar way. I also suspect that the Blue Buffalo food has something in it that his body doesn't agree with. The only thing I can suggest is to take a close look at the ingredients of the BB food and try to find something with "different" main ingredients.

You need to do this in a systematic fashion, as the process of changing a dog from one food to another can also cause loose stools. You'll need to make the switch slowly by mixing the new food with the old food for a few days, and (once you're 100% on the new food) give the new food at least 2 weeks to do what it's going to do before you make the call that he's not compatible with the new stuff and try something else.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Hdc » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Used BB puppy food with my PP when he was a puppy (a friend who had researched puppy foods highly reccomended it). He had a bunch of dry skin and dander. Switched to Purina Pro Plan and the dry skin and dander problems disappeared. Been feeding Pro Plan ever since.
Hdc
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:19 pm

Blue Buffalo is too rich for a lot of dogs. If you are big on the holistic style foods, look into Eagle Pack, its a good large breed puppy food. A lot of the other holistic foods are too high in fat for large breed puppies.

If you aren't totally spoiled on Purina, Im another pro plan fan, but not big on their other formulas.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:55 pm

What was your breeder feeding the pup when you picked it up? Why did you switch? I hear Forti Flora is great in getting the GI tract back in order. Not all dog foods agree with all dogs. I personally do not use puppy food. I feed my pups adult kibble. Lots of good kibble brands out there. Feeding a raw diet is great on many levels, but it has its pros and cons.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Most adult foods are too low in protein for puppies.

Ideal large breed puppy good has a minimum 25% protein, maximum 1.2% calcium and as close to 10% fat as you can find. Most high protein foods are too high in fat and calcium for large breed pups.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gusto » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 pm

[quote="CoJim"]Would like input on Blue Buffalo puppy food. I have my 15 week old PP on it and started having issues with loose stools and weight lose. Took sample to have checked and found nothing wrong. Vet said to put him on chicken and rice diet for short period of time, and everything went back to normal. Started to get him back on the puppy food and it started all over again. Just wondering if any one else has had this issue?
Now I'm undecided on which food to go with I have worked in the Purina plant before and really don't want to go that direction as I have seen how the product is processed. Any input would be appreciated.[/quote]
Had the exact same problem! Switch food. I went with Orijen and everything is fine now. Some dog foods no matter how good you read they are just dont work with ome dogs.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Calvinator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:59 pm

I do not consider the PP a large breed. Large breed to me is a Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound or Newfoundland. All the PP breeders I know do not feed a puppy kibble. I have had a few owners that switched their pup to a puppy food and it developed panostitis. Ones that were kept on adult kibble did not.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 am

There are large breeds and Giant breeds. Any dog over 50 pounds adult weight should be fed a lower calorie, lower calcium food, while still providing protein for growth to prevent development of orthopedic problems. Diet, genetics, and activity level have all been shown to be equally important.

Feeding adult food is a throwback to the days before we knew what the cause of issues like panostitis was. Adult food is better than regular puppy food and large breed puppy food is best. With that said, large breed is not a regulated term for labeling dog food, so not all large breed puppy foods are created equal, check the label too.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:53 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Most adult foods are too low in protein for puppies.

Ideal large breed puppy good has a minimum 25% protein, maximum 1.2% calcium and as close to 10% fat as you can find. Most high protein foods are too high in fat and calcium for large breed pups.

I've also read that too high of a protein content is no good for puppies and can lead to orthopedic problems down the road though. If I recall correctly from the DD puppy manual they caution about this and suggest something like a 22% to 25% protein content.

Here's an interesting link I just found that further explains exactly what you're talking about as well as some of what I've read in the past: http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Newer studies have shown that protein levels are the least important of the criteria, completely opposite of what was originally thought when it was found adult foods worked better. This is why studies are important, just because something works better doesn't mean it's for the reasons you think.

Energy content is the most important, and this can be managed two ways, first with restricting fat to produce a lower calorie food, second by feeding for body condition. Large breed puppies should be kept thin, ideally a 4-5/9.

Calcium content is second, with 4% calcium shown to cause problems and 0.7-1.2% thought to be ideal for prevention.

Protein is more flexible, with newer recommendations falling in the 25-30% range. As a fun factoid, a study in racing dogs found greater than 35% protein reduced performance levels, so while protein can be an issue, it takes high levels to do so.

Puppy food is better than adult food because if you properly restrict intake, large breed puppy food is better formulated to provide the other micronutrients needed for growth. Puppies grow exponentially those first 4 months, so making sure they have what they need while restricting what they don't can be done better with a diet designed for the specific needs of that group of dogs.
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:44 pm

I'm with Calvinator. I don't feed puppy food. Once I get a dog from the breeder, the weaning process begins. I take a month to get them switched over to a quality adult food, 26/16 type. Find a food with no vegetable oil.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:45 pm

Orhunter, is your food labeled for adults or all life stages?
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby MikeB » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Co Jim
What did you decide to do about the dog food issue with your pup? Did you change food?
MikeB
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Sorry about late response. Been in ND a while, just got home.

Lable is premium adult or performance. I mix foods to get what I think is proper nutrition for the particular animal. Sort of depends on what's available in your area. I avoid grain, within reason, and meat byproducts. I also get a new pup on fish oil, high in both omega 3 and 6, and yogurt. No commercially produced treats or chew toys from animal sources. No squeaky toys, I think this promotes, hard mouth. Yea, I know. Pups love 'em.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare