Anaplasmosis and heatstroke

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Anaplasmosis and heatstroke

Postby SMAbby » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Got some rough news today. I will try to make it short.
About 4 days ago Max had started to act a little off. It started while on a run in the woods. It was a hot day, but we had trained in much hotter weather so I didnt think anything about it.Plus, there were plenty of pot holes that he got into and the river. Plus, we do this every year while scouting.
While he was on the run I had tried to get his attention. He ran towards me and stopped short about 50 yards away. He was looking right at us, yet didnt recognize or respond to my commands. When I called him, he ran the other way.

Later when we got back to the truck he wouldnt load up, he just layed under the truck.
That night he ate well etc. Next day he was vomiting and had weird looking stools.

The next couple of days were off and on. He would eat, he would not. He would vomit, he wouldnt No consistency and just acted off. Temp and color were monitored and all normal.

Sunday was dove opener and we took him and Abby. Max started the day fine, but by 9 am he began to act off again. I couldnt even get this dog to do a 10 yard blind ret.? Took them home and he wouldnt leave the truck. But he ate fine

Finally, on Monday he was lethargic again. I went outside with him to see what his stool looked like. He went to poop and it was projectile blood that came from his rear!:eek: Now, panic sets in. Now, as dog owners, if we panicked about every piece of bloody stool we would always be on the hone to the vet. But this was different.

So I spoke to the vet and we ended up going to the vet this morning.
End result is he had a minor heat stroke and in finding this out we discovered that he also has the tick borne disease anaplasmosis.
This is treatable, but we are waiting to find out how long he has had it.Then they will decide how to treat it. But we already have doxy on board. Man, that stuff was 325.00!!!!

What I learned is with theses hard charging dogs we have to pay attention to the signs they give us. I should have known right away he was in distress. He would probably fall over dead before he would quit on me. I screwed up!

Second, I have always just did the standard heartworm test. never checked for the extras like lyme and anaplasmosis. I will from now on. It is only a few more bucks.

I will be much more careful of what I do with the dogs now.

He went from this happy guy

To this guy
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Anaplasmosis and heatstroke

Postby Duckdog17 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Man,...what a bummer.
I feel for ya.
Hopefully, things will turn around quick for you guys.
Get well soon Max!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:29 am

Oh, bummer is right. You're dog seems like a strong healthy dog otherwise so I'm betting he'll bounce back from it. Good luck and I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:21 am

Thanks for sharing, this post will help someone someday.

Sounds like with time and meds he'll be back to himself. Get well soon Max.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DK dreams » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Feel better MAX

Xoxoxoxoxo
DK dreams
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm

325.00 for the DOXY?

...Ahemmm...there was a big handsome Burly fella who was complaining about dat a while back....his name escapes me.....

Speedy recovery for the Muenstercheezelander!
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:04 pm

Yeah, 325. I think I was being raked over the coals. 180 doxy capsels. My vet stopped carrying the stuff because the price was constantly fluctuating. She said it would be anywhere from 1-8 dollars a pill. SO we got off ok...............I think.

He is perky today. A little pissy he got left home while Baja got to go train. Really needed him with us for pick up dog, but we figured it out. He also was suppose to finish his HRC title this weekend, but we are passing on that too.

Thanks for the well wishes for him. The big faker will be fine, just wanted some couch time and bon bons. :wink: :lol:
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Tell your vet to call around the price went back down (I posted before about the scam in all this). We would be $90 for that script (no I can't mail you meds for I dog I have never seen).
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 pm

lanco wrote:Tell your vet to call around the price went back down (I posted before about the scam in all this). We would be $90 for that script (no I can't mail you meds for I dog I have never seen).

Thanks, wouldnt have asked. It isnt a big deal.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:17 am

BTW, according to my vet I misspoke on the heat stroke. She said all of his symptoms were from the anaplasmosis.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby gusto » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Sure sounds like heat stroke to me. Regardless hoping for a full recovery.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Healthcare