Shoulder issue

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Shoulder issue

Postby huntnvet » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 am

I had Gordans in the kennel 20yrs ago, loved them, beautiful dogs. One lived to 17.5 yrs and the other 17yrs.

Glad you have a vet apt, hope for the best, but given the signalment and history, you should prepare yourself for some bad news. Can't diagnose without a PE, but just based on that info, cancer is high on the list, maybe osteosarcoma.

Best of luck.
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby figgel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Did they do a Lymes test??

My pup just went through a similar scenario as you describe only his limp kept him from doing any work! We crate rested for weeks, only for it to return. X-rays showed nothing multiple times.

This go around, this Lymes test was positive! 2 days after starting Doxy we see an incredible difference!! What a relief!! We had the dog vaccinated too, but he still got the disease. It is cheap, fast & 100% worth testing for. (Especially with the loss of appetite)
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Figgel, what state do you live in?
I asked my vet about the lymes vaccine and he told me it was pretty rare for a dog to contract lymes in Kansas so it wasn't needed.
I don't really know anything about lymes, but I DO know the test for humans is pretty inconclusive.
Without going into it too much, my daughter had some serious health issues this year, and every time lymes or the lymes test was brought up, (even though she had every symptom of lymes) they would dismiss it and tell us that even if the test came back positive, it still didn't mean she was lymes positive.
Turns out, she had something completely unrelated...(after being misdiagnosed with Lupas, fibromyalgia, and even being told it was in her head), but she's doing MUCH better.
Anyway, Like I said,...could be a totally different deal for dogs, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks,
Kevin
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 pm

Oh...wanted to add,...GLAD your pup is doing better though!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby figgel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:10 pm

MN. ---

I live I tick haven.

I'm not sure the Lyme's vaccine is effective, but demanding a Lymes test if your dog exhibits symptoms you can't explain is well within your right & your vet hopefully would understand if you did ask.

Lymes & people ..... ,many of my friends & coworkers have contracted Lymes & they suffer daily sometimes. With others the antibiotics work right away. I get tested every year, with or without symptoms as do my kids.
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:29 pm

I live in tick central too,...but apparently, not a haven for lymes.
I think this year is/was the worst I've ever seen here. 10 feet outside of my fence, and you ARE going to have ticks.
Walk through the timber?...fogettaboutittt.
Good luck with the pup!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntnvet » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:09 am

Glad to hear not cancer. Hopefully will have the pup around for a few more years.

Diagnosing Lyme dz (it's not lymes) in dogs is not straight forward. Most clinics will run a 40x Snap test because this is quick and easy, but if its positive, that doesn't mean your dog is currently infected w the spirochete. You then need to run other tests to make sure of what's going on.
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby huntnvet » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:53 am

Put the dog on omeprazole as well, this will alleviate your concern about the GI side effects of deramax.

Good luck
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Doc E » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am

Take the dog to a Vet Chiro or a Chiro Vet.
You can find listings of qualified people at either
www.erchonia.com/
or
www.vomtech.com/

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby spinster » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Postby Doc E ยป Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:04 am
Take the dog to a Vet Chiro or a Chiro Vet.
You can find listings of qualified people at either
www.erchonia.com/
or
www.vomtech.com/

+1
spinster
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby huntnvet » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:37 am

Glad to hear not cancer and that the pup will be around a bit longer.

Did your ortho talk about range of motion exercises, etc?
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby huntnvet » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Well, since I haven't seen the dog I can only offer some general advice for this kind of problem.

In general, most muscle injuries that occurr as we get older, or older dogs, occurr because our flexibility has decreased. Thus we move suddenly or try to flex further than we should and we tear or strain the fibers. One exercise I recommend for any muscle and many bone or neurological issues, is to go through "range of motion" exercises. Really nothing more than putting a limb through the complete motion from full flex to full extension. Move slowly and don't force it through tight spots. Do this daily or twice daily, many dogs learn to enjoy the time. Also a good idea for those of us that are aging.....stretch daily.

Hope this helps some.
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby nldd » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Partridgehunter ,hope your Gordon gets on ok,age is never sweet on dogs or people :( --ps where are you located in NL? im in the clarenville area.
nldd
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dr Tim » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 pm

I have had good luck with therapeutic laser treatments on shoulder injuries. Need to localize the injury and find someone that can do it but it does work very nicely.
Dr Tim
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare