Masking heat cycle

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Masking heat cycle

Postby SMAbby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:12 pm

So, probably a silly question, but I need to ask it.

Do those heat cycle masking scents work?

I have a male and female living together. Female is not of breeding age and has not been approved yet to breed. First heat cycle went fine. It was tough but we got it done by rotating dogs.But male lost weight, typical male stuff and was just miserable.

This time around the male has a UT in 3 weeks. I am projecting her to be coming in around 7 days from now. I need the males head in the game for the test. Is there something besides sending her away, that I can do.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Masking heat cycle

Postby ryanr » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Holy cow I didn't even know they made such things. Do you find them in the same aisle as the cover scents & doe-in-heat scents? :lol:
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:26 pm

SMAbby: I may be over cautious. But given the time, effort, and expense that most of us put out to attend a UT test.... I'd go the safe route and try to find someone to keep your female for the couple of weeks between when her cycle starts and his test day. The last thing I'd want is my male losing his mind right before the test.

Other will probably have different opinions.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm

blue04 wrote:SMAbby: I may be over cautious. But given the time, effort, and expense that most of us put out to attend a UT test.... I'd go the safe route and try to find someone to keep your female for the couple of weeks between when her cycle starts and his test day. The last thing I'd want is my male losing his mind right before the test.

Other will probably have different opinions.

Yeah, I am guessing you are right. Hmmmm, So what are you doing in the next couple weeks? LMAO :lol:

I am actually hoping I am wrong because it seems kinda early since her last heat cycle, almost 4.5 months ago. Started bleeding MArch 23rd was out of heat April 17th. But she is getting squirrely, humping my female and a little wider in the rear. Plus she is playing a little bit of grab ass with my male. He could careless at this point.

Thanks, I think I may do that.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:42 pm

I've never used any of those products. I can tell you that my male does not pay attention to females in heat except for about a 4 day window. The rest of the heat cycle he could care less.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Calvinator wrote:I've never used any of those products. I can tell you that my male does not pay attention to females in heat except for about a 4 day window. The rest of the heat cycle he could care less.

Not so much the case here. Maybe because he is young......dumb...who knows. But he has ripped curtains down, chewed door handles, climbed on counters to look out the windows.

I will just send her away. 2 weeks at 14.00 a day, going to be hard to explain to the hubby. Oh well.
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:55 pm

No direct experience but I had a male do a two week hunger strike for a female 1/4 mile up the road, so I'm guessing it's not going to be effective.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 pm

lanco wrote:No direct experience but I had a male do a two week hunger strike for a female 1/4 mile up the road, so I'm guessing it's not going to be effective.

Sounds like the proper approach here is to get her WAY away from your house. Not just at the next neighbor down the road.

SMAbby wrote:Yeah, I am guessing you are right. Hmmmm, So what are you doing in the next couple weeks? LMAO :lol:

I'd be glad to keep her. She would probably teach my dogs some good habits. And on the topic of WAY away, I would qualify. I wouldn't even charge you the $14 per day. But I suspect the $14/day would be cheaper than the shipping costs to get her here and back :)
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:30 pm

blue04 wrote:
lanco wrote:No direct experience but I had a male do a two week hunger strike for a female 1/4 mile up the road, so I'm guessing it's not going to be effective.

Sounds like the proper approach here is to get her WAY away from your house. Not just at the next neighbor down the road.

SMAbby wrote:Yeah, I am guessing you are right. Hmmmm, So what are you doing in the next couple weeks? LMAO :lol:

I'd be glad to keep her. She would probably teach my dogs some good habits. And on the topic of WAY away, I would qualify. I wouldn't even charge you the $14 per day. But I suspect the $14/day would be cheaper than the shipping costs to get her here and back :)

:D :lol:

Im suspecting this may have something to do with her attitude at the water right now. :wink:
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare