Rattlesnake vaccine

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Rattlesnake vaccine

Postby Packfish » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm

From what I know of it- Rattlers are used that are either- defanged and or milked and fangs clipped. If a bull snake could be used- I'd be conducting clinics

also- at one end of our valley the shot is $ 40 to $45 at the other end it's $15
Packfish
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Been away fishing for a couple of weeks......

Dogs can develop a severe intolerance (allergy) for antivenin after the first go around. Not all the time but far from uncommon. I'd hate to find out too late my dog was one that developed the allergy.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 am

Packfish wrote:From what I know of it- Rattlers are used that are either- defanged and or milked and fangs clipped. If a bull snake could be used- I'd be conducting clinics

also- at one end of our valley the shot is $ 40 to $45 at the other end it's $15

The Idaho Chukar Foundation is one group that uses live bull snakes because bull snakes often mimic rattlesnake behavior when threatened (minus the rattling sounds and venomous fangs.) Around the time I first got on this site I'm pretty sure I read the same account here of a snake avoidance clinic using bull snakes.

I used a collar and a good-sized (for a) garter snake and now instead of sticking his nose right in to investigate my pup seems to avoid snakes and anything that looks like it might be snake.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I've seen some studies indicating that it is effective, but it is species specific (at least with the particular snake in the study Mojave rattler)... just like antivenin. FWIW, If I recall rattlers and copperheads aren't even the same family much less species... copperheads and cottonmouths are the same family.

I have a very good buddy in CA that uses it and has enough experience to have determined that it works. His word is good enough for me.

The big issue with purchasing it is shelf life, second to that (if you're thinking of a party purchase) would be proper handling of the doses after receipt, i.e. proper storage. Lots of chances for screw ups... just ask anyone who purchased name brand vaccines from Tractor Supply and such, eh?

Avoidance training is a plus... but, it is not 100% effective if your pup approaches from upwind.

Good thread for something probably not discussed enough.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Same family, different genus. They're all members of the Crotalidae family, or pit viper family. Coral snakes are in a completely different family though.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Previous

Return to Healthcare