Rattlesnake vaccine

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Rattlesnake vaccine

Postby Jim Perry » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:05 pm

A northeastern Wisconsin resident (45 mi SW of Green Bay) , I am likely to be going hunting in MT rattlesnake country. Not many rattlesnakes in WI so WI vets don't stock rattlesnake vaccine. My vet can get it but needs to buy 25 doses. Anyone want to share in the cost? 25 doses cost $170. UW-Madison vet folks deem it safe. Requires vaccination and a booster 30 days later.
Jim Perry
Pup
Pup

Re: Rattlesnake vaccine

Postby lanco » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:03 pm

There has never been enough convincing data on that vaccine to make me give it to my dogs. I think a snake proofing clinic might be a better investment. The real question is if your dog is bitten will you hold off on antivenin because you gave the vaccine or err on the side of caution and treat any way?? The reality is most dogs survive snake bites with or without the antivenin but I know if Ava gets on the wrong side of a viper I'll grit my teeth and plunk down money for antivenin making the vaccine kinda moot. Again evidence is lackin unless Redrock suddenly publishes something so it's just my personal point of view.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jim Perry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:06 am

I've been told that it buys time and delays tissue damage and other neurological issues while one takes the dog to a vet. So no, I would not avoid the antivenom.
Jim Perry
Pup
Pup

Postby orhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:02 am

I think the vaccine is a good deal if it makes it so the dog does not require Antivenin. Two reasons. The Antivenin is very, very expensive. 2nd, antivenin can only be given one time and if the dog suffers another bite somewhere down the road, it's on its own.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Packfish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:15 am

It gives me a piece of mind- I have had one done for the last 3 years and this year the new dog also. $15 a shot seems to be worth it to me and no side effects that I have seen. Stepped over a couple of rattlers this year- dogs didn't even notice the snakes- but I felt better that I had got them the shots. Hope the hell that the shot never has to be tested by my dogs. The snake avoidance training here is very exepensive - pretty cheap up in Boise- not so in SLC.
Packfish
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Jim Perry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:29 am

My issue is that the vaccine is not readily available where I live and would need to buy many does that would be wasted. That why I was hoping to find people in the Midwest who might also be interested. But given the bird forecast for Montana this year, I may not need it.
Jim Perry
Pup
Pup

Postby ckirsch » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 am

The snake avoidance training is good, but obviously won't help in a situation where a dog gets bitten while running through a field, without ever noticing the snake. I can't come up with a reason not to use the vaccine, especially given how inexpensive it is.
ckirsch
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:28 am

Orhunter: I didn't know Antivenom could only be given once. Is that really true? I couldn't find anything on it with a quick look.

Packfish: Any idea why the snake avoidance training so expensive in SLC area and what's the cost? I've seen pictures of how it's done and I don't understand why it would be so expensive?
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:49 pm

Is the vaccine species specific....good for Copperheads and Timber Rattler, for example??
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ckirsch » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:59 pm

Rattlesnake only, so far as I know, and not all species of those. I know it covers our South Dakota prairie rattlers.
ckirsch
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jim Perry » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:07 pm

From what I have read it is not effective against the big guys in AZ. I have checked with the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, nd they believe it to be safe but given there have been no clinical trials, no way of affirming scientifically if it is effective.
Jim Perry
Pup
Pup

Postby Packfish » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:49 pm

ryanr wrote:Orhunter: I didn't know Antivenom could only be given once. Is that really true? I couldn't find anything on it with a quick look.

Packfish: Any idea why the snake avoidance training so expensive in SLC area and what's the cost? I've seen pictures of how it's done and I don't understand why it would be so expensive?

I think it has something to do with Utahs restructive laws on harboring rattle snakes VS Idaho- In SLC it was $150 a dog very recently and Boise was I think $50 for the first dog and $35 for the next dog. I really am hoping I see a good blow snake on the road and can do a little avoidance training on my own
Packfish
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 pm

ckirsch wrote:Rattlesnake only, so far as I know, and not all species of those. I know it covers our South Dakota prairie rattlers.

Earlier I read up a bit on the Red Rock website & I'm pretty sure they claim it's good for all 3 pit vipers in the US (rattlesnakes, copperheads & cottonmouths.) They also don't seem to claim that it will definitely not require antivenom if your dog is bitten but it will at the very least lessen or delay the damage until antivenom can be given. At $15-20 a dose it seems like a very inexpensive way to possibly help prevent permanent damage to your dog.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Packfish wrote:
ryanr wrote:Orhunter: I didn't know Antivenom could only be given once. Is that really true? I couldn't find anything on it with a quick look.

I think it has something to do with Utahs restructive laws on harboring rattle snakes VS Idaho- In SLC it was $150 a dog very recently and Boise was I think $50 for the first dog and $35 for the next dog. I really am hoping I see a good blow snake on the road and can do a little avoidance training on my own

I'm sure there are various ways to do it but I thought they typically used bull snakes instead of actual rattlers?
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 pm

Antivenin can be given on more than one occasion in a dogs life, we treated a repeat offender dachshund a few days ago and he did well. The risks of a reaction to thd antivenin do increase though so there is a risk benefit scenario there. The dachshund was pretty rough looking prior to treatment making it an easy call.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare