Yellow Jackets.....again

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Yellow Jackets.....again

Postby hicntry » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:42 pm

It is going to be a bad year for these critters. I came home today and I could tell from about 40 yards that some of the dogs in one yard had these huge clown faces on what looked like little heads. I knew I should have taken the time to gas that nest I got into because it seems to have been abandoned. I look for an area of yard tore up where an epic battle may have taken place....but nothing. I benadryled all three dogs. When back out this evening once it cooled a bit to study the situation. Dogs couldn't even get their faces in the feeders but they were still snatching up yellow jackets as fast as they could. Since there wasn't many this afternoon I wasn't sure what exactly happened. Now I know they spent the morning snatching them up and eating them as fast as they could. I will try and follow them back to their nest in the am, but, for now, I put the food in a pen and locked the dogs out until it gets dark. Have to get up early and separate the dogs from the food again and pick up a bunch of yellow jacket attractant. LOL, it is always something.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Yellow Jackets.....again

Postby hicntry » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 am

Third day. Swelling isn't noticeable in one of the three dogs. Another of the three about 75% back to normal. The third is still pretty swollen through the throat and some on the right side of the face so she has a ways to go yet. Guess I am going to have to go to town and get a bunch of yellow jacket traps and attractant. Still have their feeders removed from the yard because all three of the dogs, swollen or not, catch every yellow jacket they can.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:18 pm

We are at the end of day 4. One has an eye still half closed but all other swelling is pretty much down. The last one still has the right side of the face somewhat swollen and the throat is still a bit swollen but at least she can eat without choking. A few more days of benadryl and both should be back to normal.......if they will just quit trying to kill every one they see. Got 4 traps in their yard, one disposable with apple juice which came highly recommended one disposable with just water as the manufacturer suggested, and two non disposables with cat food. Tomorrow we will see who is blowing smoke. The highly recommended apple juice is way behind at this point. People that recommended apple juice probably read it on the net. LOL

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Checked the yellow jacket traps in the one dog yard early this morning. Don't know how much the smoke is affecting the YJ's but it is really smoky from a forest fire up the canyon. Smoke comes in at night and dissipates as the temp rise and air shifts back up hill. As one can see from this short video, the disposable traps with attractant don't work as well as a cheap can of fish based cat food.....one can will do about 10 traps as opposed to the disposables at about $5.00 a piece.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/hicntry ... d.mp4.html
Cash's eye is still partly closed. Jackie's face is just about normal but her throat still has some swelling. Looks like a few more days of benedryl for them. I take their food out of the yard still and those traps are inside of a closed pen.....where they sit waiting for any YJ that comes out of the pen. I am looking out the window right now and see Tuco(6 mo) is catching them in another yard. Looks like it is going to be a great Aug with 12 fly traps 12 YJ traps and another 300 lbs of flea and tick killer to put in the yards....all just to keep the critters in check.

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Have you ever tried the Golden Malrin fly poison? I'm not even sure yellow jackets would be attracted to it, but if the yj's are attracted to sugary stuff, you just mix it with coke or mountain dew.
It's pretty cheap though.
Highly toxic so keep it away from the dogs and cats...or anything you don't want dead right NOW!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare