Yellow Jackets

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Yellow Jackets

Postby hicntry » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:39 pm

I am in the house for a few minutes to take a few more benadryl and access the damage. I was cleaning up outside the dog yards and stuck a weed eater into a yellow jacket nest. You would be surprised how fast you can run with a big commercial weed eater harnessed to you. Thank god I was wearing leather gloves or it would have been a lot worse. Made me think, how many have had their dogs get into yellow jacket nests and what do you do for them?
Don
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Yellow Jackets

Postby huntinmo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I have not been able to get my dogs to do the weedeating for me! :crazyeyes:

I hope that your runin with the yellow jackets was not serious.
huntinmo
Started
Started

Postby hicntry » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Not too bad considering less than 20 stings probably. Got a bunch of knots on the back of my head and neck and a bunch across my stomach where the harness is. I just quit clearing at 2:30 because it is almost 100 out there and the stings that I really notice are the ones in the front and one right behind the ear. Actually, because of the heat, the stings weren't even noticeable till I came in. I wasn't near as bad has it is sometimes when you hit a nest.

I went out one time and the dogs came running to me and their necks under their chins swung from side to side like water pouches. They had em in their mouths and had been eating them.

PS: When I stopped to get the benadryl, went back out to do some more and the first pupp on the rope it came off in my hand so I had to fix that. That weed eater has about a 10" pull now....but it was enough. Seems some day a person is better off staying in bed. Oh yeh, I spent Sunday night in Madera and got home yesterday. The booster pump was just whining away. A hose had burst and emptied a 1200 gal tank of water.....then killed a small rattler by the deck in one dog yard.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Never had a serious problem with them but my Cassie used to spend her days under the apple tree hunting for bees. Some days her lips were a bit puffy and I figured the hunting was good.

A friend was up at a lake in the high Cascades doing a bit of shore fishing. Nature called him to a secluded spot in the brush so he dropped his pants and began relieving himself.....right on top of a yellow jacket nest. He got hit pretty bad and was out on the trail examining the damage with his pants around his ankles. He had a lot of damage. A young couple suddenly appeared on the trail and were quite alarmed by what they saw. They sort of looked like the couple who were camped next to him. When he got back to his tent, their tent had disappeared.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Glad your ok. Don't be surprised if you vomit some this evening. When I was a kid I got into a nest of bumble bees and had to call a doc in late at night to stick a pill up my.... I felt better in no time. I weighed signicantly less than the average adult though so you'll probably fair better than I did.

I read a few weeks ago about a guy losing two prize labs to African bees on the border of Texas/Oklahoma. The man and his wife were attacked pretty badly too. They ran and made it out fine in the end though. Read about a similar thing with a couple and two shorthairs a year ago. The shorthairs died the the same type of bees. Those African bees are relentless!!
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks JTracey. It was probably the least damage I have ever suffered getting into a nest so I am pretty cool with it. Been sitting on the deck having a little JD on the rocks listening to some great music. Most of you have never heard of this guy but give it a listen. Start with "Crazy" and let it play on down. Really better than anything today. :lol:
http://archive.org/details/PeteFountain-01-50

hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:00 am

I plowed up a bumble bee nest this year. It's the first time I remember being stung by a bumble. I've been stung by almost every type of stinging insect that lives in my area, but this was my first bumble bee sting. It was worse than any other sting that I can remember.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:08 am

Hicntry: Thanks for the tunes. Great stuff.....
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntnvet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:04 pm

I grew up in Georgia, lots of jackets! Amazing how fast one can move when they hear that humming sound:)

About only thing is to give dexamethasone and Benadryl injections. I've never seen life threatening situation due to bees, but the snakes in the south are a different story!
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby SMAbby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:32 pm

Hicntry, I feel for you. Sounds like you are nursing it pretty well with the JD and tunes though. Bees of any kind are no joke.
I have been stung once in my 40 years. It was by a wasp on my lip. Now, I do the bee sting buggy whenever I see ANYTHING that looks like a bee. Put my back out once trying to get away. :(
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare