Quills

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Quills

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:01 am

Dog got into a Porkie a week ago....not bad...got quills out and have seen nothing come through since...but...he's limping on the front left where I did take out a good number of quills. The two outside knuckles are swollen but not red or warm....could be he just raninto something. Thought of imaging the foot but not sure that a quill would show up on an Xray. Does anyone know??
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Quills

Postby ryanr » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:04 am

Gosh, perhaps a small piece of quill somewhere under the skin that has caused the swelling and pain?
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Packfish » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:19 pm

had basically the same thing happened a few years ago- wife soaked the dogs foot morning and night in warm water and epsom salts- got another portion of one out after the second day-
Packfish
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:34 pm

We've been watchingit for a week...waiting to see if something comes throught the skin. The soaking idea sounds good...see what happens.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:46 pm

I never really thought about using this on dogs, until someone just mentioned soaking, but we use an old time family recipe for "extracting" splinters and such.
Hot salt water,...as hot as you can stand it, but naturally not too hot for the dog
Mixed with apple cider vinegar.

This absolutely works great on people! I've seen it work wonders.
For example, when I was a teenager, I got an alfalfa shoot under my finger nail while putting up hay. Half a dozen people tried to tweeze that thing out until I was getting green around the gills.
Good ole Mom plopped it in a bowl of the above mixture and after about 15 minutes of soaking...it popped right out.

I'm sure glad we don't have to contend with the porkies! What a pain!
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby K Locke » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:29 am

Was it a scene from Hellraiser? It’s amazing how tough these hunting dogs are.
K Locke
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Tom in WI » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:20 pm

I'd try the soaking. Quills aren't apt to show up on an x-ray. X-ray works based on relative density. The quills probably can't be differentiated from tissue as they aren't dense like bone. My dog went a couple rounds with a porkie. The winner in that contest was the vet. Good luck.
Tom in WI
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Jay » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:40 am

I've had quills show up in dogs 2 months after the fact. Sometimes they break off deep, but they eventually work their way out. You will see something that looks like a small pimple, the end of the quill will be inside of it.
There are people with opinions, and people with experience. Smile at one, and listen to the other.

"Knowledge without mileage is just bull$#*!" Henry Rollins
Jay
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare