Dis-Location of rear Toe [ bad ]

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Dis-Location of rear Toe [ bad ]

Postby Smilin Jack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Duchess did it up right . After some pigeon trg. the other day I thought she had broken a nail on her rear foot but it turned out to b her toe . Trip to vet confirmed no break but a dis-location . OK , popped it back . fine . Next day , out again . Did this 3 times . Vet again . X-ray showed that the Disc or pad between the bones and the ligament that holds it in place wasn't is position any longer . Trying to avoid an Orthopedic trip we elected to try and fuse the bones together . 2 weeks now and she seems to be moving alright but is still tender to the touch .
Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to one of their Dogs and also if we are going in the right direction . I have no problem with the $ involved just the timing . If it takes an Ortho visit and treatment , so be it .

What do You all think
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Dis-Location of rear Toe [ bad ]

Postby Smilin Jack » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:49 pm

No answers or advice ?????? Com'on Guys give a guy a hand ....... :?:
If You Can't be a Good Example then You will just have to Serve as a Horrible Warning
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Follow your vet's advice. 2 weeks is not a long time considering the toe is bearing weight all day. Hunting & working dogs are just like athletes, some injuries might not keep them out of practice or the game for long but will still take more time to heal precisely because they're not completely laid up. If it were me I'd try to keep mg dog on light duty more so than not right now. Plenty of summer left until hunting season begins, heal her up well.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:54 pm

She is going crazy about 3 times a day . God forbid she sees a chipmunk on my deck . She is taking it easy . I just hope I get some good news on fri.
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SMAbby » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Crate her, Seems like she got turf toe! :D

Deal with it now and you will have her hunting in no time.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mtlhdr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 pm

Got no advice for ya other than keep the big picture in mind. Do what ya gotta do now to get her ready for the fall. Good luck.
mtlhdr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 am

Boot the foot, have a beer......
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:09 pm

Ordered the boots , Having a Bourbon .... :lol:

Friday is X-ray day . Will go from there
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby lanco » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 am

True toe luxations are rare, lots of dogs out there have torn or avulsed flexor tendons to the digits but that is less problematic. If time truly concerns you more than money I would see the surgeon post haste for a consult. The level of tendon and ligament injury you are suggesting would likeky require 6-8 weeks rest in a splint to resolve. Surgery may or may not be an option but the surgeon will be the best informed as to how to best proceed. Foot injuries are always annoying and it's hard to have the discipline to give them the time to heal properly but the sooner you get definitive care started (spoon splint, surgery whatever) the sooner your pup will be healed.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 am

Well it was good for a while but Duchess did it again .. :( .. Saw the Ortho Vet and he recommends taking the nail off and see how it goes . If needed again then take the toe . I am still wondering if we shouldn't take the toe now . Worried about swimming mostly . I know the toe is weight bearing but she is young and would think she would adjust her running but what happens with the webbing between her toes .
Any thoughts
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby lanco » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 pm

Loss of a toe, especially just the final phalanges of a toe, isn't going to be an issue for the majority of dogs. In fact we have done this several times for bone infection that just wouldn't resolve (not saying that is your dogs problem) and the dogs were much more active/sound after.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:00 am

Bummer! Never had that happen before.
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby wcummin » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 am

Years ago I had a lab that punchured her front left paw and severed the tendon. She was on a pro's truck and with his advise we did not have the toe removed. Later he said that we should have removed it. It never seemed to bother her but the toe was always sticking up and the pad would get sore sometimes when she spent time in the run.
wcummin
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:35 pm

Final decision will be made in the morning . Vet said if he can he will just take the nail but from the looks of the pad I fell he will take the toe . He did say he would be able to save the webbing so She won't swim in circles . THAT IS ABOUT THE FUNNIEST THING HE SAID ...
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Smilin Jack » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Well , they took the nail and the last joint ? . She is none to happy about being confined . How do you keep a Dog from tearing the bandage when She doesn't fit in the crate with the collar , they want to keep all pressure of off the foot until Wed. ....
Attachments
1231471_10200450980148410_404675543_a.jpg
1231471_10200450980148410_404675543_a.jpg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Smilin Jack
Master Poster
Master Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare