Feeding your Pup...

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Feeding your Pup...

Postby ryanr » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 am

Figgel, I've been feeding my 10mos. old DD pup Dr. Tim's Kinesis since he was about 4mos. old. Before that I fed Purina Pro Plan large breed puppy. PPP was pretty good (and I was also reluctant to change due to their NAVHDA support) but I researched Dr. Tim's and compared the two both ingredients-wise and price-wise and for me there was no comparison. PPP was a bit cheaper but not so much more that it made a big difference to me so I decided to give Dr. Tim's a try. I easily setup an automatic delivery schedule for Dr. Tim's on Petflow. My pup went from being a leisurely eater on PPP to devouring the Dr. Tim's Kinesis. On the Dr. Tim's site you can download a side by side comparison of his dog foods versus other top quality foods. There's also the comparisons and explanations available on sites like DogFoodAdvisor. Good luck and make the best choice for you and your dog.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Well my breeder was feeding PPP large breed puppy and that's what he of course recommended I keep feeding and so I did. The pup wasn't doing bad on it but I wasn't quite satisfied and I was a little dumbfounded at the casualness with which he ate it. He'd eat some, then wander away, then come back and eat some more. Sometimes he'd even leave some leftover in the bowl. I was reading a thread here on dog food, several guys mentioned Dr. Tim's and I read up on it and found that it was indeed a high quality meat-based kibble. I liked the reasoning behind the slow-cook methodology as well as the inclusion of DHA, chelated minerals and pre and pro-biotics. The changeover from PPP to Dr. Tim's was quick as I saw immediately that my pup really liked this new kibble. I feed two times a day and he was now finishing his bowl regularly each time and feeding time was over within a couple minutes of telling him "eat!" He's always been a high drive, energetic pup but he did seem more so to me after switching but that might just be my own bias. One thing I definitely noticed and others did as well was that he started to develop more muscle and gain good weight and his stools were usually a better consistency and color.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby wrangler1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Dr. Tim's Momentum or Pursuit are the two foods to beat now. One is a 35/25 and the other a 30/20. Back to back wins of the Iditarod and the field trial guys are starting to switch. The guy who writes for National Geographic and takes his malamutes to the arctic circle for 3 months at a time in winter uses the food.

You won't buy Pro Plan again. The man has the decency to sell in 44lbs bags and you can buy pallets direct for an obscene price.

The food is so digestible I know a Great Dane breeder whelping and weaning giant breed pups on his 35/25.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mbulg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I started with Diamond because that was what the breeder was feeding, but I plan on mixing in then switching to Pro Plan. We need to firm up his stools a bit.

Also, I'd like to start mixing in some raw foods and vegetables soon. Once in a while I add some cooked chicken, but I just read if you feed meat then you need the mix in a quality bone meal (not gardening bone meal).
mbulg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby PCO » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:55 pm

2 x/ day Blue Buffalo dry, fish supplement, add in a 1/4 can on heavy working days...
PCO
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby figgel » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:51 am

I'm going to purchase my first bag of Dr. Tim's today -- and begin mixing it with the PPP. If he seems to be doing well with the mix, I'll add more and more Dr. Tim's. Again, I'll watch. If all is well, I'll make the change to Dr. Tim's monthly delievry. Man I like that feature! Where was this delivery thing my whole life!? :lol:
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby HandyAndy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Just curious, how much of the Tuna Oil should I give my pup? she is 12 weeds old now and about 20 pounds.
HandyAndy
Pup
Pup

Postby Country Guy2 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:15 pm

HandyAndy wrote:Just curious, how much of the Tuna Oil should I give my pup? she is 12 weeds old now and about 20 pounds.

What else besides tuna oil do you feed your pup?
Country Guy2
Started
Started

Postby HandyAndy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:08 pm

my GWP pup gets fed 2x a day 1.5 cups each feeding of Science Diet puppy Healthy Development, but I am considering switching to that dr. tims stuff..... I do not currently give her any Tuna oil or anything like that. She has pretty good stools and only poops once a day.... and she doesn't have gas..... that's why I am somewhat reluctant to switch from the science diet... everything seems to be ok, just wondering if I should supplement with some tuna oil or not and how much to use.
HandyAndy
Pup
Pup

Postby Country Guy2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:01 am

HandyAndy wrote:my GWP pup gets fed 2x a day 1.5 cups each feeding of Science Diet puppy Healthy Development, but I am considering switching to that dr. tims stuff..... I do not currently give her any Tuna oil or anything like that. She has pretty good stools and only poops once a day.... and she doesn't have gas..... that's why I am somewhat reluctant to switch from the science diet... everything seems to be ok, just wondering if I should supplement with some tuna oil or not and how much to use.

I'm not big on feeding dogs kibble simply because it is a processed food and I feed raw but I have heard that dr. tims is of good quality as far as kibble goes and lots of sporting dog owners use it with good results or so I'm told. As far as giving your dog tuna oil or even sardines in small amounts a few times a week, I don't see a problem with that and I give my dog sardines every now and then. If your dog is doing good on the food you are using why not just stay with that?
Country Guy2
Started
Started

Postby Cobbhunts » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:15 am

Country Guy2 wrote:
HandyAndy wrote:my GWP pup gets fed 2x a day 1.5 cups each feeding of Science Diet puppy Healthy Development, but I am considering switching to that dr. tims stuff..... I do not currently give her any Tuna oil or anything like that. She has pretty good stools and only poops once a day.... and she doesn't have gas..... that's why I am somewhat reluctant to switch from the science diet... everything seems to be ok, just wondering if I should supplement with some tuna oil or not and how much to use.

I'm not big on feeding dogs kibble simply because it is a processed food and I feed raw but I have heard that dr. tims is of good quality as far as kibble goes and lots of sporting dog owners use it with good results or so I'm told. As far as giving your dog tuna oil or even sardines in small amounts a few times a week, I don't see a problem with that and I give my dog sardines every now and then. If your dog is doing good on the food you are using why not just stay with that?

When you give sardines, or tuna oil, how much do you give at one time, and how many times per week?
Cobbhunts
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Country Guy2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Cobbhunts wrote:When you give sardines, or tuna oil, how much do you give at one time, and how many times per week?

About 2 times per week, maybe 2 or 3 sardines while I am eating mine. I have never given tuna oil but have given him other freshwater fish to eat. I don't feed any fish on a daily basis.
Country Guy2
Started
Started

Postby blue04 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:02 pm

I haven't had sardines in 20 years, but aren't they pretty salty? I would think that a big dose of salt might not be great for dogs?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Cobbhunts » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:14 am

Country Guy2 wrote:
Cobbhunts wrote:When you give sardines, or tuna oil, how much do you give at one time, and how many times per week?

About 2 times per week, maybe 2 or 3 sardines while I am eating mine. I have never given tuna oil but have given him other freshwater fish to eat. I don't feed any fish on a daily basis.

Thanks! I eat Sardines weekly for their helth benefits. And more so for their high protein content. It helps break up the tuna, boiled eggs and canned chicken in my diet haha. I usually eat them at work after my gym session, but maybe I'll start eating them at home more.

Blue....they are a little high in sodium. About 280mg per can I believe. Good point!
Cobbhunts
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 pm

I always keep a self feeder outside the whelping boxes full of Kirlands supper premium chicken and rice and veggies. During the winter, since they are born and raised outside, I supplement with raw chicken. The adults get about 3/4 lb a day with bones and alll, the pups just get the raw chicken with the skin and all dark meat. Never got too caught up in marketing. Hasn't seemed to hurt the pups over a lot of years.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Healthcare