Feeding your Pup...

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Feeding your Pup...

Postby figgel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:12 pm

There have been lots of newcomers (like me) and lots of new pups on here. Doing a search on "dogfood," the last large thread on this topic (started as a joke) was in 2009. So, I'm going to chance it.

What do you feed your dog or new puppy?

We are feeding our new PP a blend of:

ProPlan
Wilderness Grain Free
and cooked meats (basically any leftover meats from my freezer that I cooked, blended and canned myself-- could include: fish, duck, shortribs, chicken and turkey,...even an old lobstertail I found! (gasp!)

I'm not sure we're going to stay with ProPlan -- I don't love the combination, but I do love that they sponsor NAVHDA--so I should support them in return.

Curious--with all the new organic blends and BARF diets out there, what do you feed 'em?
Last edited by figgel on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Feeding your Pup...

Postby Jay » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I don't know if you can get it where you are, but I fed Orijen Puppy to my pup, and I was very happy with it. While it's a little pricey, Origen is among the best kibbles out there.
There are people with opinions, and people with experience. Smile at one, and listen to the other.

"Knowledge without mileage is just bull$#*!" Henry Rollins
Jay
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby figgel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:12 pm

I'll look it up Jay. We can get quite a bit here if you know where to look!

I thought about the topic in greater length today because I warmed up Johnsonville Beef smoked brats for lunch. There was one remaining & I was going to give it (in increments) to the dog. Well, I was told not to because it "was crap.". Lol. I fed my kids that "crap," but won't give it to the hound!! :D

so...for one...no more packaged crud at home for the kids!! But for two: I'll continue to evaluate what I feed said pup.
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Different dogs do better or worse on different foods.
Find one that works best for you and use it.

We feed Eagle Pack (I like the protein/fat %) Supplemented with one over easy egg per day as well as a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement and a Tuna Oil supplement.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby figgel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:14 am

Doc, when do you begin the egg?

Why the tuna oil? I actually understand the health benefits of fish oils, but I'm curious if you're seeing a result by using it? (like longevity, better coordination, sharpness,coat etc) Do you see a difference when you are not using it? Thanks!
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:59 am

figgel wrote:Doc, when do you begin the egg?

Why the tuna oil? I actually understand the health benefits of fish oils, but I'm curious if you're seeing a result by using it? (like longevity, better coordination, sharpness,coat etc) Do you see a difference when you are not using it? Thanks!

I like to start the egg when the pup is big enough to expend some significant calories such as with swimming, wing-clip introduction etc --- so somewhere around 8 weeks.

Cold water fish oils primarily contain two different Omega-3 fatty acids, namely EPA and DHA. Most regular fish oil has an EPA : DHA ratio of 'about' 2 : 1. In Tuna Oil, the ratio is 1 : 5. High levels of DHA improve brain development (cognition - learning ability), formation of the Retina and Optic nerve as well as the Auditory nerve. Quite a few dog food companies are adding DHA to their puppy foods ---- although the amounts are probably too low to make a big difference.

In fact, now days, most human baby formulas are boosted with significant DHA as are some "toddler drinks".

I like to give Tuna Oil during the primary learning period (up to 12 to 14 months). Then I switch to a product called Complete Omega-3 Essentials (IMO, the world's finest Fish Oil). When a dog nears geriatric age (9 or 10) I switch back to Tuna Oil because of it's ability to reduce the incidence of Geriatric Retinal Degeneration (number one cause of blindness in dogs).

I like the mother of a litter to be on Tuna Oil from the first signs of coming into heat throughout lactation - then the puppies go on to their own Tuna Oil.
Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:03 am

Doc E wrote:.......as well as a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement..........

Glucosamine / Chondroitin until the major amount of skeletal development is finished (12 - 14 months) then switch to Glucosamine + MSM for the rest of the dog's life.
In a huge meta-analysis, it was found that Chondroitin has little or no benefit in an adult.

Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 am

While I'm sure you didn't intend to "start" a debate,
Statements like these...
Origen is among the best kibbles out there.

Are always how the dog food threads go south. There just isn't any way (that I know of), for the "layman" to prove what is best.
Right now, I'm feeding Pro Plan large breed puppy. Is it the "best"? I doubt it. But, the protein to fat ratio in comparison to the cost makes it a pretty good CHOICE for us. And, from just a little bit of internet research, it doesn't look like Pro Plan has had any major recalls. Pro Plan Performance worked great for my last dog, and after some (too much probably), Internet research, (comparing protein/fat ratios to cost, and recall track record),I decided to stick with it IF the dog does well on it. After all that research, I made a short list of foods to check on, the three that really stood out to me we're,
Dr. Tim's, but it's not available anywhere locally, and shipping costs a fortune.
Ahnamett...same deal.
Innova Evo-looked to be promising, (although expensive), then they had a huge recall and pulled it all from the shelves.
The rest on my list didn't really look to be much better (by the ingredient list) than what I had been feeding...PPP. BUT...usually a LOT more expensive.
So,...I guess you could call it a long trip to nowhere. ;)
The bottom line is, he seems to be doing OK on the PP puppy.
Other than the fact that he's ALWAYS hungry!

It can be tough finding the right food, especially for a puppy. They go through so many phases and change so rapidly, that you're constantly analyzing your food choice. At least, I do.

I may start supplementing some meats or eggs. It looks like Doc's done some research! :)
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby figgel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks Doc! I appreciate the time you put in to your response. I'll read up a bit more on tuna oil (I actually have the Omega 3 capsules (I think the essentials one -- or the one from norway...) in a jar in my fridge for OUR use!) Interesting stuff about the macular degeneration. If one can reduce it or try to...why not!?

Thanks again.

I didn't mean for there to be any debate -- I know people have their own personal choices and many are driven by ingredients, price, perhaps dog allergies or conditions, location, brand loyalty, etc. There is no winner or loser -- just some "food for thought!" :)

When we had big dogs and we were younger, our checkbooks didn't always balance out in the green like we would have loved -- we bought regular old Purina Dog Chow for them. Later they came out with Beneful. Actually, the dogs did OK on both of those. Then, the labs eventually left us and we ended up buying a weiner dog (dachshund) -- well, compared to the labs "Ducky" only ate 1/2 a cup a day!! Monetarily, we went all out. Organic food--homemade dogfood--but that was silly. Eventually we fed him a 1/2c. of whatever we had leftover from our dinner. Usually some combination of meat and vegetables or fruit. (we're not big pasta people at ALL or rice...) The dog was thin, healthy and fantastic.

So, whatever floats each family's boat. I am just curious with all the choices out there, what seems to be the sign of the times.
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Steve Anker » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:14 pm

YES...absolutely, I am in favor of FEEDING your PUP......definately, sure, it's good fer em.....regularly......YES :crazyeyes:
Steve "HOSS" Anker
ANKER OUTFITTERS
A-TEAM Gun Dog Training
FEATHER TERROR KENNELS

"Time with my dogs clears my mind, renews my faith, and lets me see the world as it is. My only regret loving dogs as I do, is the misery of their early departure." Robert G. Wehle
Steve Anker
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:30 pm

figgel wrote:Thanks Doc! I appreciate the time you put in to your response. I'll read up a bit more on tuna oil (I actually have the Omega 3 capsules (I think the essentials one -- or the one from norway...) in a jar in my fridge for OUR use!) Interesting stuff about the macular degeneration. If one can reduce it or try to...why not!?

Not the same. "Complete Omega-3 Essentials" are only made by Nutri West Laboratories.
Capsules :
600 mg Molecular Distilled Fish Oil
100 mg Flax Seed Oil
100 mg Black Currant Seed Oil
100 iu Vitamin E

8 oz Liquid -- Same formulation but much less expensive (1/2 tsp per day)
Doc E
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Scott Linden » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:58 pm

figgel wrote:I'm not sure we're going to stay with ProPlan -- I don't love the combination, but I do love that they sponsor NAVHDA--so I should support them in return.

I don't know that I would count on that continuing. Their ad director told me their public relations department is advising against any continued support of hunting ... politically incorrect. I guess we'll see if common sense ultimately prevails and they support the millions of hunters who support them with their purchase.
www.scottlindenoutdoors.com
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
Scott Linden
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby figgel » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:45 am

Sad news Scott. Sounds like citidiots infiltrated Purina. :(
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby gusto » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 am

Orijen 6 fish, great stuff.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Duckdog17 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:12 am

I hope it's not true...
But if it were, that would be one of the absolute DUMBEST moves they could ever make.
Considering that the same "people" who oppose hunting, also oppose pet ownership.
A move like that would accomplish nothing, other than probably make them lose money.
Last edited by Duckdog17 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare