Keep monitoring this or go to vet?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Keep monitoring this or go to vet?

Postby ryanr » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Got home from my Adirondack fishing trip and picked my dog up from the kennel Sunday evening. That night my 4-legged garbage disposal grabbed a small plastic container of flies (as in flyfishing flies). He seemed more interested in chewing the plastic container than with the flies but I have no idea if he ate one though I doubt it. Well come late Monday afternoon he starts having diarrhea. He was squatting & straining so much even when nothing was coming out that I saw what looked like a drop or two of bloody liquid. He had it again Tuesday morning and evening so I switched him to a bland diet of chicken & rice. The diarrhea seems to be getting better now this afternoon but the stool I saw looked like it had a little blood in it. However it could've also been the small piece of the Redskins fleece blanket he ate last night. It was in some thick weeds so it was hard to see it well and it was semi-firm. He doesn't seem lethargic or anything else like that. Is this something I should monitor for improvement or take him to the vet and have him x-rayed (for the possible fly-hook and piece of blanket?)

It seems some dogs eat some crazy stuff and are fine and the fly he may or may not have eaten would've been very small (like size 16 or 18) and the piece of thin fleece blanket was maybe 2x3 inches.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Keep monitoring this or go to vet?

Postby 3drahthaars » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Ryan,

I'd contact your vet and get an opinion.

My wife specializes in endoscopy and has removed just about everything (including coins, sewing needles with thread attached and fish hooks) from dogs to a sea turtle. If it doesn't attach and/or perforate the intestines, a small hook will eventually disolve in the digestive system... but, you don't know.

It might be safest to get a radiograph, just to be on the safe side!

It would be a relatively inexpensive but safe insurance policy.

3ds
3drahthaars
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Keep monitoring this or go to vet?

Postby ryanr » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards that but was thinking of waiting to see if there was any improvement over today & tomorrow morning. I think the diarrhea is just coincidence (it may be a bug he has or from the food switch: kennel feeds Pro Plan & I feed Dr. Tims Kinesis.) It figures he has diarrhea bad right before a big training weekend with my NAVHDA chapter.

I tried explaining to him that if he wouldn't counter surf & steal stuff when I'm not looking we'd both be much happier but he just cocked his head and looked at me funny. :lol:
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare