Tail lenght?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tail lenght?

Postby Jnyiri » Mon May 13, 2013 7:35 pm

What everyone prefer full tail or shorter tail? There is any negative effect with a full tail?

Thanks. Jozsef
"A man will walk right into hell with both eyes open, but not even the Devil can fool a dog"
User avatar
Jnyiri
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby Doc E » Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 pm

What breed are ya talkin' about here ?
I have Labs and anything less than full length is :lol: ... :lol:


.


.
Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
User avatar
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2234
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:19 am
Location: N.E. WA state

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby JTracyII » Mon May 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Because most folks here have European v dogs, I think you'll get more replies in favor of short tails. Tail length makes no difference in hunting ability, but there is a practical reason for shortening the tail. If someone hunts enough then sometimes the longtail can get a wound on the tip from going through brush etc causing it to bleed. I've heard of a guy or two having to cut a dogs hunt a bit short because of it. Don't think most people hunt enough for this to happen these days though. Once the tail splits open then you must stop hunting for a time to allow for healing. I'm curious if anyone here has had a problem with this with their longtails?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby orhunter » Tue May 14, 2013 12:08 am

I've seen a severe case on a Labrador.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 7289
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:29 am
Location: nw oregon

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby Jnyiri » Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 pm

Doc E wrote:What breed are ya talkin' about here ?
I have Labs and anything less than full length is :lol: ... :lol:


.


.

Its a wirehaired vizsla.

Jozsef
"A man will walk right into hell with both eyes open, but not even the Devil can fool a dog"
User avatar
Jnyiri
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby Jnyiri » Tue May 14, 2013 6:46 pm

JTracyII wrote:Because most folks here have European v dogs, I think you'll get more replies in favor of short tails. Tail length makes no difference in hunting ability, but there is a practical reason for shortening the tail. If someone hunts enough then sometimes the longtail can get a wound on the tip from going through brush etc causing it to bleed. I've heard of a guy or two having to cut a dogs hunt a bit short because of it. Don't think most people hunt enough for this to happen these days though. Once the tail splits open then you must stop hunting for a time to allow for healing. I'm curious if anyone here has had a problem with this with their longtails?


Hey JTracyll,

I'm not asking because I think it's make any difference in hunting ability. I was curios about the bleeding and injuries. Is it really happen so often or its just happened before with a friend of a friend?

Thanks Jozsef
"A man will walk right into hell with both eyes open, but not even the Devil can fool a dog"
User avatar
Jnyiri
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby Duckdog17 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:57 pm

Never had an issue with either of my labs, or even seen a lab with tail issues, but we had an EP growing up that always had a bloody or scabbed up tail. Mostly caused by him wagging it into the wire fencing around the kennel.
But,...man that dog could whip that tail!
There were several times when kids thought he'd bit them but it was just his tail smacking them!

And then,...if it were bleeding, he'd sling blood all over the place!
So,...yea, it happens.
User avatar
Duckdog17
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 820
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby ottomatic » Tue May 14, 2013 10:56 pm

I had a rescue shorthair with a long tail a few years back. She broke that sucker open every day whipping it against things. I can attest to the crime scene she would whip blood all over the place, walls, furniture, people nothing was safe. I never got to hunt her but I can't even imagine what it would have looked like comming out of the grouse woods. I read an article recently about tail docking put together by a vet in England who was arguing against their law banning docking. He noted that 30% of the non docked working dogs ended up having portions of or the entire tail amputated due to injury.
User avatar
ottomatic
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:16 am

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby JTracyII » Wed May 15, 2013 9:12 am

Jnyiri wrote:What everyone prefer full tail or shorter tail? There is any negative effect with a full tail?

Thanks. Jozsef


It appears that you have a long tailed WHV. Is that right? Your dog may not have as many problems with the tail issue due to having the little bit of extra protection that the wire coat provides. Only time will tell. The shorthaired dogs appear to have more of an issue with it based upon the feedback on this thread.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1677
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:42 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby Jnyiri » Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 pm

JTracyII wrote:
Jnyiri wrote:What everyone prefer full tail or shorter tail? There is any negative effect with a full tail?

Thanks. Jozsef


It appears that you have a long tailed WHV. Is that right? Your dog may not have as many problems with the tail issue due to having the little bit of extra protection that the wire coat provides. Only time will tell. The shorthaired dogs appear to have more of an issue with it based upon the feedback on this thread.



Yes it's a WHV.

Jozsef
"A man will walk right into hell with both eyes open, but not even the Devil can fool a dog"
User avatar
Jnyiri
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Tail lenght?

Postby SMAbby » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am

Yes, I have trouble with bloody tail. I havent stopped a hunt because of it. if it isnt bothering him, it isnt bothering me. Happen most when we are in cattails marshes. I have heard of some Munsterladers being born with a bob tail. Cant say I would complain if I had a litter of bob tails. :wink:
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
User avatar
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa


Return to Healthcare

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests