Staph comes back!

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Staph comes back!

Postby Scott Linden » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 pm

My older wirehair has had a rash-like irritation on the inside of his rear leg, running up to his belly. Sort of a pebbly, reddened area. Vet put some skin cells under a microscope and diagnosed bacterial infection - commonly called staph. My dog has had adverse reactions to steroids, so no prednisone to help with the itch (he licks it a lot). Neosporin and oral antibiotics knocked it back for a couple weeks. Now it's back. We are on to a stronger antibiotic but I'm starting to worry a bit about whether more of the same will work in the long run. Any experience or advice? Thanks.
www.scottlindenoutdoors.com
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
Scott Linden
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Staph comes back!

Postby RCNZ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:03 am

There is an antibiotic resistant staph (MRSA) but if it responded the first time I'd say that's not terribly likely.

Staph aureus is normally present on the skin and something else has to be going on for it to start to pose a problem. Finding out what is causing the problem in the first place will go a long way in getting rid of the problem all together. The most likely answer is that he wasn't on antibiotics long enough the first time and didn't fully clear it.

There's a product I used to use called Ciderm that may be worthwhile looking at using topically. It's chlorine dioxide based and is a very powerful but safe disinfectant. I initially used it for treating horse hoof infections but found it works really well on dogs as well. I think they use it for whitening teeth as well. I'm not sure if it's still available as that was a few years ago but it may be worth a look.
RCNZ
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:22 am

Original Listerine.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:29 am

orhunter wrote:Original Listerine.

Harvey, I suppose you got that out of a book. LOL
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:11 am

Hicntry:

Nope, but they say it cures everything. Figured it's worth a shot.

Right Now I'm reading Thomas Jefferson's biography and there's no mention of Listerine. I bet they could have used a lot of it back then.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby seank » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:40 pm

Back in Jefferson's day the wonder cure for everything from syphilis, to bed sores, to nausea was Mercury... No thanks. But speaking of Listerine, its heck of a disinfectant because its 29% alchohol. That makes it the disinfectant of choice for jailhouse tattoo artists and the beverage of choice on Indian reservations where alcoholic beverages are banned. Back in the day when I lived on a Plains Cree reservation up in Canada, you made sure you never picked up a hitch hiker with minty breath. :mrgreen:

If it were me, I'd go back to the vet and have him hit it hard with a broad spectrum antibiotic. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to go to the external sulfa-based treatments.

Sean
seank
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby letsgohuntn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Scott:

There is a staph vaccine you can get from your vet. It may help if your dog continues to get staph from possibly a low immune system.
letsgohuntn
Started
Started

Postby Doc E » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:13 pm

How often do you supplement with a quality yogurt ?
70% of a dog's immune system is in the gut and is maintained with a proper good : bad bacterial balance.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby steadytowing » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Doc E wrote:How often do you supplement with a quality yogurt ?
70% of a dog's immune system is in the gut and is maintained with a proper good : bad bacterial balance.

Can you please explain this to me? I'm not sure what 70% in the gut means.

I know very little about canine immunology, but I was under the impression that immune processes are similar in mammals. In people, they originate in the bone marrow, thymus, and lymph nodes.
steadytowing
Started
Started

Postby figgel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 pm

We had a dachshund that would get a staph infection on his entire belly every single time he visited a particular body of water (smaller inland pond in MN). The first time, the infection went away in a week with antibiotics, but each additional time, it would last 2 to 4 weeks....once it was so bad we ended up with antibiotics, prednisone and a topical cream. After the last one, we never let him back in that particular body of water.

I would say watch where your dog got that first rash to begin with. Then, if he gets it again, was he near the same place. Staph hangs around like a fly on poop in areas where it can breed....sometimes smaller bodies of water carry it permanently. Many dogs can be immune, but you may have one which just cannot fight it like the others.

Good luck!

PS - After a while, the vet didn't even need to see the "long dog" -- we just called him and he'd prescribe the meds. That's how often it returned.
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Healthcare