Lump inside skin layers

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Lump inside skin layers

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 am

So I discovered a lump directly over Rowdy's spine today that is hard and moves around in the skin. I researched it and all information I found led me to believe either a tumor or cyst... either way it was a recommended vet trip. I took him in and the vet stuck a needle in it twice and looked at cellulite on a microscope twice. He said there was very little cellulite which led him to believe it was either a sebaceous cyst, a foreign object, ingrown hair, or lymphoma. He said if it changes at all to come back and the next visit is free of charge but he doesn't think the "growth" is threatening. He may have it the rest of his life but if it doesn't change, no harm fussing with it, he said.

My question is, has anyone had a similar experience? Anyone know what this could be? Should I get a second opinion? My only concern was that it was directly above his spine, thinking it could spread and attach to the spine if it's a tumor. Vet said it isn't a side effect of shots, since those tend to show up laterally (on the ribs and thighs). Rowdy is 1-year-old if that matters. Thanks in advance.
"You have to be smarter than the dog to train it."
"A working dog is a happy dog."
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
"Chukar: The first time you hunt them it's for sport. After that it's revenge."
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Lump inside skin layers

Postby Dakotazeb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 am

I had a male Brittany that would get cysts like that. I had some removed but as soon as I removed one he'd get another. My vet said some dogs are just like that. I always thought his name should have been Lumpy. Anyway, as long as they don't change or grow it's probably not anything to worry about. Those things bother us more than the dog.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks Dakota, helps put my mind at ease a bit. I trust and like my vet so I wasn't too concerned but also wanted to see what my VD friends had to say... no not venereal disease :mrgreen:
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 pm

My old dog had a floater lump, wasn't attached to anything. Had it quite a while but it started to grow a bit. Had the doc do a needle test and came back as a nerve sheath tumor, cancer. Had it removed. Was told these thing usually don't spread and if they come back, it'd be where the old tumor had been. She was dead a few months later, before the hair grew back. I miss my Cassie.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby RowdyGSP » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:47 am

Harvey I'm sorry for your loss. Losing one of these amazing dogs is never easy. I will keep an eye on Rowdy's lump.
"Semper Fi" HQ/11th
RowdyGSP
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare