Corn Allergy?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Corn Allergy?

Postby suDDs » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:46 am

In October I noticed my pup was losing hair on the bridge of her nose and stop. I took her to the vet, worried that it was mange. He pointed out to me that her skin was crazy dry all over her whole body. Her hair was brittle, and, apparently, she should've been greasy like a lab.

At the recommendation of her breeder, I was feeding Purina One Large Breed Puppy Formula. My vet said that most likely she has food allergies, and the most common is corn, then chicken. So I changed her food to VF, and started giving her fish oil, and saw improvement for about a month, but now her skin is dry and flaky again, and her hair is brittle. The VF didnt have corn, but did have chicken.

I thought about trying Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. It has salmon and fish meal as protein sources. Do any of you have a dog with this problem? Any advice or suggestions? All are welcome..
suDDs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Corn Allergy?

Postby orhunter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:08 pm

I think the first step is to put her on a bland diet for a week. Ground turkey and brown rice with a fried egg and plain yogurt. Continue the fish oil.

Next, I'd go to one of the grain free foods like Taste of The Wild. Make sure you read the lable to verify there is no Canola oil or any vegetable oil in it or whatever brand you settle on. Yes, the stuff is expensive but you'll be feeding probably less than two cups a day. After your dogs system is flushed, you can probably reintroduce a less expensive but high quality food. I use the Costco, Kirkland, purple bag with good luck. Do not use the green bag. Others here can offer suggestions on suitable brands/types.

Reading the lable on dog food bags actually is "rocket science." Stuff we've fed and trusted for years, can change overnight. A person needs to read the lable every time they buy even if it's the same brand they've been using for years.

As you switch between these foods, do it over a few days, not all at once.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steven » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:30 am

suDDs wrote:In October I noticed my pup was losing hair on the bridge of her nose and stop. I took her to the vet, worried that it was mange. He pointed out to me that her skin was crazy dry all over her whole body. Her hair was brittle, and, apparently, she should've been greasy like a lab.

At the recommendation of her breeder, I was feeding Purina One Large Breed Puppy Formula. My vet said that most likely she has food allergies, and the most common is corn, then chicken. So I changed her food to VF, and started giving her fish oil, and saw improvement for about a month, but now her skin is dry and flaky again, and her hair is brittle. The VF didnt have corn, but did have chicken.

I thought about trying Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. It has salmon and fish meal as protein sources. Do any of you have a dog with this problem? Any advice or suggestions? All are welcome..

My lab that passed away a couple years ago had food allergy. The vet put us on a really expensive purina food for a while (she was paying for it through some promotion I think) and it proved it was the food. When I learned what it would cost to keep feeding it, I went to the Purina One Sensitive Systems because it used fish based protein source. It worked fine for him.
"A bird dog already wants to find and point birds. It's my job to take nothing away from that and add those little things that WE want them to do. . ." - Maurice Lindley
Steven
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:10 pm

I'm a firm believer in fish being one of the best protein sources for dogs.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby marysburg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:18 pm

We have had great results with allergic dogs on Purina Pro Plan Natural Selects Salmon and Brown Rice. It may work for your dog, but of course there may be more than one food allergen causing trouble, and also there may be plants, shampoos or cleaning products which cause trouble. One of our dogs has seasonal allergies which really cause her trouble spring and summer, but not in the winter. Allergies are difficult to manage, that's for sure.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby wrangler1 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:46 pm

suDDs wrote:In October I noticed my pup was losing hair on the bridge of her nose and stop. I took her to the vet, worried that it was mange. He pointed out to me that her skin was crazy dry all over her whole body. Her hair was brittle, and, apparently, she should've been greasy like a lab.

Your Vet needs to read the 28 studies done all over the world that show common animal proteins like beef, chicken, eggs and dairy account for about 80% of food allergies. Grains, combined, except for wheat account for 5%. Corn shows about 1-2% of the time just like rice. Your dog is 6 times likely to be allergic to fish or lamb as corn.

Something else is wrong....check the dog's thyroid.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby letsgohuntn » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:08 pm

I tried my dog on Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula. She did not like it and refused to eat it. Try this web site http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ as mentioned dog food gets complicated and everyone has different views. Have you considered just adding a supplement? I have tried a few and had success with this company http://www.zoomdog.info/ Hope this helps.
letsgohuntn
Started
Started

Postby lanco » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Veterinarians can get pretty jaded on dermatology because complete resolution of the problem is rare and unsatified clients are common (makes me happy to be an E-vet). The most thorough way to deal with these issues would be to do a skin scraping to rule out mange, skin cytology (AKA "sticky slide") to look for excessive yeast or bacteria, +/- culture for ringworm (depending on clinical presentation).Then get a history on bathing diet, flea control ect. If no answer is discerned from phase 1 then phase two is a true diet trial where either a hydrolysed protein (protiens are cut short chemically to a size that cannot provoke a response from the immune system) diet (Science Diet Z/D or Purrina HA) or any of a myriad of so called "Novel Protien Diets" (eukanuba once made a Kangaroo and Aramanth diet :lol: ) which is bascically an attempt to feed the dog with meats and grains it has never had before and thus cannot (at this time) be allergic to. During a food trial the dog can ONLY have the precription diet and associated hypoallergenic treats, ANY other food including rawhide chews, training treats or your childs unwanted chicken nuggets will render the diet trial potentialy useless. If the diet trial resolves the dermatitis then you can either feed the special diet forever, try to guess the offending ingredient and find a OTC food that excludes it OR if you are super curious ;add ingredients from the old dog food back one at a time at 3 week intervals to identify the offending agent(s) with certainty. If the diet trial does nothing then we can proceed to classical allergy testing where your dog is shaved and a grid is drawn onto it then allergens are injected intradermally to check for a reaction to various inhaled allergens (the cause of atopy or dermatitis resulting from inhaled allergns) . If the dog reacts to say ragweed then allergy desensitzation injections can be formulated which can given at home for 3-6 months to solve the problem. If allergy testing yields nothing then skin biopsies can be performed and histopathology obtained to search for the cause of dermatits. Oh yeah and depending on the age of your dog thyroid testing or other bloodwork may be indicated. And most vets now are so use to dealing with 90% spayed female dogs that they sometimes neglect the influence of hormones/heat cycle/pregnancy/nursing can have on a dogs coat. There is a trend now towards using allergy testing based on blood IG levels but the jury is still out to some extent on how well these test correlate to clinical disease. Having finished that diatribe let me say that random food changes are not particularly likely to yield a solution, going to a grain free boutique diet is pretty much a waste of money, and bland diet has no bearing on skin issues (sorry guys). How old is your dog, what are you using for fleas, how often do you bathe her, what do you bathe her with, what kind of bedding does she sleep on and has she been in heat in the past month or so?
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Steven » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:42 pm

lanco wrote:a true diet trial where either a hydrolysed protein (protiens are cut short chemically to a size that cannot provoke a response from the immune system) diet (Science Diet Z/D or Purrina HA)

That's what we did with the vet . . . . then when he cleared up, and I said I couldn't buy that food for the rest of the dog's life, she suggested we try a fish-based protein, saying the allergy to the other proteins were much more common. On the fish based foods, his skin was fine.
"A bird dog already wants to find and point birds. It's my job to take nothing away from that and add those little things that WE want them to do. . ." - Maurice Lindley
Steven
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby suDDs » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 pm

lanco wrote:How old is your dog, what are you using for fleas, how often do you bathe her, what do you bathe her with, what kind of bedding does she sleep on and has she been in heat in the past month or so?

She is 10 months old, we don't have problems with fleas in our area, I never bathe her, she sleeps on the foot of my bed, and she hasn't had her first heat cycle yet.

She did have mange when I took her in last fall. The vet said young dogs have immature immune systems so the mange mites that are always there become a problem, and having allergies just adds to it. She seems to be doing ok on the Pro Plan. Her breath smells like fish and it's super gross, but her skin isn't flaking anymore.

I hope it stays good. I will be ultra bummed if I have to shave her!
suDDs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby MikeB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 pm

suDD,
YES I agree with no wheat, corn, glutens, by- products to start with.

Costco now has a grain free dog food in 2 different formulas. Natures Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato or Turkey Meal & Sweet Potato. http://www.naturesdomainpetfood.com/abo ... res-domain

No matter what food you choose I would try bottle of PROZYME digestive enzymes. Check out their site at:

http://www.prozymeproducts.com/

Hope that helps,
MikeB
MikeB
Master Poster
Master Poster

Return to Healthcare