Newbie; W/Extended Umbilical cord question

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Newbie; W/Extended Umbilical cord question

Postby Johnnyclack » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:31 pm

I have my first DK, she is 14 weeks. :multi:

My vet (Spike, cool name for a Vet, huh’) has checked her out, she’s past the second puppy shot, on to her third.

She and her litter mates have extended Umbilical cord nubs. Spike says not to work about it, take care of it when she’s spaded if I choose to.

I will be hunting her in mostly in wheat stubble & sage brush. So I am thinking it’s good idea. One of hunting partners picked up a male (my pup’s brother) and is concerned that his male will have to it done when the pup is nurtured. He is not sure he wants to nurture his dog.

Q: Is it important to have the nub removed, and if so can only be done during the sterilizing process ?

Thanks

js
Johnnyclack
Pup
Pup

Re: Newbie; W/Extended Umbilical cord question

Postby lanco » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Assuming tour talking about an umbilical hernia I would recomend having it corrected. It is easy to correct an umbilical hernia at the time of spay. For a neuter it is a seperate procedure entirely but could easily be done in the same anesthetic period. Size is the main factor with these, really minute ones can be ignored (1/4 inch gap in body wall) while larger ones need more prompt attention. The one case in which I think that any abdominal hernia no matter how small should be repaired is in breeding bitches, prior to breeding to avoid issues during labor (the force of pushing combined with distortion of the body wall during pregnancy could lead to intestines herniating). If the bump ever increases in size then that would be cause for an immediate trip to Dr. Spikes office.
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Newbie; W/Extended Umbilical cord question

Postby hicntry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Depends on what kind of hernia the dogs have. Some are hereditary others are not. Many bitches will chew the imbilical cord up flush with the stomach This causes many hernias since the last 1" to 1 1/2" is like rubber, the moms hold the pups down to chew it this close. Usually the vets don't try to distiguish between the two because a hernia is a hernia is a hernia.....and they can't tell unless they saw the pups at a day or so old. I have bred many females with hernias the mothers caused.....but if you don't know which it is it is probably best to fix it. A lot of my males have them and they have never been a problem. Many close up on their own anyway.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare