monorchid testicles

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

monorchid testicles

Postby GPBLITZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm

What is monorchid testicles, the definition? I had a person call and ask this question. The gentleman said his dog has one testicle down normal . The other is there but pressed up against the stomach wall. The dog is I'm thinking 8 mths. old. Should this dog be allowed to breed in the future? PLEASE, I'd like to hear fact not opinions. Hopefully someone is a vet on the board. My opinion is the dog is monorchid but wants to give the man a correct answer.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: monorchid testicles

Postby Doc E » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:11 pm

What you are describing is called cryptorchidism.
Typically, if the teste has not descended by 6 months, it should be corrected (removed) surgically.
Because this is a sex-limited autosomal recessive, it is recommended that the animal NOT be bred.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GPBLITZ » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks Doc. I didn't think the dog should be used as future breeding stock.
GPBLITZ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Solon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:56 am

GPBLITZ wrote:What is monorchid testicles, the definition? I had a person call and ask this question. The gentleman said his dog has one testicle down normal . The other is there but pressed up against the stomach wall. The dog is I'm thinking 8 mths. old. Should this dog be allowed to breed in the future? PLEASE, I'd like to hear fact not opinions. Hopefully someone is a vet on the board. My opinion is the dog is monorchid but wants to give the man a correct answer.

Monorchid dogs should not be bred as stated above. The issue is whether the dog you describe is monorchid or not. I think the owner may need his vet to determine that. If the second testicle has exited the inquinal canal, it has descended, even if it lies tight to the abdominal wall.
Solon
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare