swollen toe

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

swollen toe

Postby Georgia Boy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:24 pm

My little terror, I mean terrier :lol: has an extremely swollen toe. Originally I thought he had broke it because the toe and that side of the top of his foot were swollen and he would put no weight on it. I gave him a couple days of rimadyl with kennel rest and he started to put some weight back on it. The swelling in the foot went down but the toe remained swollen. The toe is now bigger and obviously sore, I am thinking it has some type of an infection. I have started soaking it in water with Epsom salts until I can get him to the vet probably on Wed at the earliest, can anyone think of any thing else I can do for him? Any help would be appreciated.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: swollen toe

Postby kiwi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:51 pm

keep an eye on the nail and see if he's got something jammed up there, but sounds like he has broken or dislocated it.
kiwi
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:13 pm

JMHO...but the Rimadyl may relieve the inflammation, but if you have an underlying infection or a break, you need to get some treatment. Infected nails (splits, cracks, breaks, punctures around the nail bed) can lead to some very ugly infections of the foot and tendons. Get it checked out if you see this persisting.

If its a fracture or a bone bruise (dog banged foot against a rock), there's not a lot you can do until it heals.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Discontinued the Rimadyl when he started putting weight back on it. A couple days ago I started some antibiotics because the swelling in the toe had got to the point that it looked like it was about to burst. After 2 days the swelling had started to subside and I could see between it and the toe next to it and there was some kind of puncture on the inside of the toe. I will continue the antibiotics for 7 more days and he should be back to "normal", at least for a DJT :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare