Auto immune disease

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Auto immune disease

Postby ples0017 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm

We have a Llewelyn setter with an auto immune disorder that attacks her joints. She is on steroids to keep it in remission. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with it and life expectancy and life style of the dog, she has a great nose and a strong point, love to hunt with her
Thanks
ples0017
Started
Started

Re: Auto immune disease

Postby Dakotazeb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:44 pm

I have lost 2 dogs to an auto immune disease. One a Springer, age 8, and the other a Brittany, age 12. However, what my dogs had was called Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia. The immune system went into overdrive and was killing off the red blood cells. We treated it with large doses of Prednisone but both dogs only lasted a few months after being diagnosed. Those heavy doses of steroids do wierd things to the dogs. It made the Springer a really ugly dog so we had to cut back on the Prednisone as we couldn't have him around like that. Didn't matter in the end. Because the steroids suppress the immune system we believe the Brittany developed a cancer/tumor in his throat and was unable to eat. Due to his age we had no option but to put him down.

I hope and pray you have better results with your setter.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Auto immune disease

Postby PCO » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:03 am

Sorry to hear it and good luck. Thoughts are with you guys