Seizure

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Seizure

Postby Doc E » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Here are a bunch that support my views.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dha seizures&btnG=Google+Search

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jed » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm

I saw a dog have a similar seizure years ago. Scary stuff!

I carry several packets of honey that you can get from the local fried chicken joint in my vest. They are tiny, weigh nothing, keep forever, and are easy to dispense to a dog having a seizure. i've never needed them, but they are there if needed.
Jed
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby huntnvet » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Nope DocE, try again. Do you actually look at the links before you send them? This was a link to wikipedia and a few marketing ads. Please understand, I'm not against the use of fish oil and the like, but fish oil is not the end all, be all for any disorder, which you seem to imply when suggesting it as a solution for any disease/condition mentioned on this forum. To go a step further, research has shown that the use of these products in young children can cause problems (for a reference, see the most recent link you posted).

Jed,

I think that is a good idea to carry some form of simple sugar, kayro syrup is cheap and works also. This will only work if the seizure is due to low blood sugar.
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dr Tim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Here is a very in depth look at hunting dog hypoglycemia that you might be familiar with. Definitely worth a few minutes for all hunters to read. http://wenaha.blogspot.com/2010/04/hunting-dog-hypoglycemia.html
Dr Tim
Started
Started

Postby PCO » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Tim and Huntn,

Thanks for the discussion on this and the points hat were made. Interesting read you just posted and it will help others in the future hopefully. I know I will add a small bottle of karo to my bag for arduous hunting days...

Thanks,

PCO
PCO
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby ryanr » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:54 pm

I see it was mentioned to bring a bit of karo syrup or honey to give to a dog if it has a seizure to help combat hypoglycemia (if that's actually what's causing the seizure.) Perhaps i'm splitting hairs or misinterpreted the posters intent but my question is wouldn't it be better to try to avoid the seizure and give the dog a small dose of syrup honey before it ever has seizure? I'm not saying you could predict the seizure beforehand but why not give the dog a dose say an hour or so (or some other timeframe) into the hunt? Along the same lines, years ago when I first had my labrador I remember reading an article that suggested watering dog after something like the first half-hour of the hunt and it will be able to hunt hard much longer, basically the rest of the day.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JTracyII » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:12 am

Could be way off, but could it be EIC?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby lanco » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 am

Seizure are variable in their cause but not so daunting as to not be worth investigating. The primary differential diagnosis for a dog this age would be epilepsy, hypoglycemia, EIC, or heat stress/heatsstoke (can occur at ambient temperatures over 70 degrees and a hard running dog). Consult with your veterinarian and realize a little creativity may be required to make this diagnosis if seizures have only occurred during exercise thus far. We have had dogs do retrieves behind the building for 20-30 minutes and then check their blood sugars to help rule out hypoglycemia ect. Most vets would like to start with a basic CBC and chemistry panel during or as soon after a seizure as possible.This bloodwork assesses blood sugar and also rules out less common causes of seizure in younger dogs such as disease of the liver or kidneys. I think that just throwing karo or tuna oil at these issues without some attempt at a diagnosis is probably not the best idea. Talk with your veterinarian and as always if they don't seem interested in adressing your concerns consider a second opinion (but not Dr. Google please).
lanco
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike50 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:24 am

I'd like to say thank you all very much for your post. I never dealt with this issue before and there for not being sure what direction to go all your post are very much appreciated. We haven't gone hunting since it happened but for now when we do I'll be sure to keep it to a minimum. And make sure I get some water in her. If I have to make up some beef broth to get her to drink so be it.
Mike,
So many breeds so little time!
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby suDDs » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Is this the same dog with the brown urine from your other post? If so, your best bet is probably to get to the vet.

Where I live, it's not uncommon to hunt in 90 degree temperatures. We keep a close eye on the dogs' urine, and begin conditioning them at age 3-4 months to return when called and take some water squirted from the water bladder. You can stick the tube right in the corner of their mouth, which helps a lot when they just want to hunt.

Keep us posted on what you find out, and good luck
suDDs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Mike50 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 am

suDDs wrote:Is this the same dog with the brown urine from your other post? If so, your best bet is probably to get to the vet.

Where I live, it's not uncommon to hunt in 90 degree temperatures. We keep a close eye on the dogs' urine, and begin conditioning them at age 3-4 months to return when called and take some water squirted from the water bladder. You can stick the tube right in the corner of their mouth, which helps a lot when they just want to hunt.

quote="suDDs"]Is this the same dog with the brown urine from your other post? If so, your best bet is probably to get to the

YES IT IS. Don't remember the last time it was 90 here.
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 am

Mike50 wrote:
suDDs wrote:Is this the same dog with the brown urine from your other post? If so, your best bet is probably to get to the vet.

quote="suDDs"]Is this the same dog with the brown urine from your other post? If so, your best bet is probably to get to the

YES IT IS. Don't remember the last time it was 90 here.

I think you're missing the point. You're focusing on the temperature instead of the fact your dog is showing several serious symptoms that COULD be a result of dehydration or hypoglycemia or they could be signs of something more serious. If I were you I'd be focused on the advice that is telling you to take your dog to the vet, give them a thorough explanation of symptoms and have a workup done.

Warmer temperatures just mean that dehydration and overheating may occur more quickly and obviously then in more comfortable temperatures but dehydration can occur in winter temperatures and it's not at all uncommon for it to happen either.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby suDDs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:59 am

Mike, I don't know where you live, but was trying to give you advice on how we keep our dogs hydrated, even when temperatures are not favorable for hunting. You said in an earlier post that your dog wouldn't drink while hunting. Do you have water bladder/camel back? When you recall your dog, get her to sit or hang on to her collar and put the tube in the corner of her mouth. That way, she kind of has to drink. I take the bite valve off and kink the tube to control flow. Hydration is so important.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the vet said, please keep us posted.
suDDs
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:38 pm

Sometimes dogs need to just calm down before they'll drink. We shouldn't just expect them to when we want them to or when they should. Like a woman, they gotta be in the mood.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike50 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:35 pm

I was aware of the fact that dehydration can occur at an temp. Up until the first snow here I always carried water bottles when hunting the dogs. Since all my other dogs learned how to scoop snow while hunting I assumed this pup was also doing it. Given the fact she wouldn't drink when we got back to the truck. We'll be keeping a better eye on her water in take
and resting her from field to field.
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Healthcare