Seizure

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Seizure

Postby figgel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:52 pm

Sorry to hear this. Hang in there!
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Fireforged » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 pm

I have walked that road and it is a tough one. I am sorry for your loss.

That was the right decision. Seizures always seem to get worse over time.

It is time to put this behind you and get another dog. Get some of that puppy breath.
Buba's Backyard Kennels, specializing in rare black wires stolen from top NAG bloodlines
real Merican hunters breeding improved dogs suited for real Merican sportsman and hunting
unfettered by the restrictive and controlling breeding practices of foreigners and the United Nations
No BS contracts or regulations, significant reading comprehension not a problem
They wouldn't all be talking trash about us if we wasn't doin something right.
Fireforged
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Mike50 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:32 pm

gusto wrote:What now Mike, new dog, new breed, taking your time?

Let the breeder know last night that she was put down. As I. Bought her with out asking for a health garent I was surprised to hear him offer me a pup from his next litter at no cost.
So many breeds so little time!
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby ryanr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 am

Mike50 wrote:
gusto wrote:What now Mike, new dog, new breed, taking your time?

Let the breeder know last night that she was put down. As I. Bought her with out asking for a health garent I was surprised to hear him offer me a pup from his next litter at no cost.

That's exactly what a good breeder should do. You shouldn't have to buy a pup with a health guarantee, it should already be implied. The reputation of a good breeder is the guarantee if you ask me.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Mike50 wrote:Let the breeder know last night that she was put down. As I. Bought her with out asking for a health garent I was surprised to hear him offer me a pup from his next litter at no cost.

I agree. The breeder seems to be holding up his end of the bargain. Does this experience with seizures make you hesitant to get another pup from the same breeder? Does the pedigree of this next litter have a lot in common with the litter that your last pup came from? Does the breeder know of any previous seizure issues with dogs on either side of the pedigree?
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Mike50 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:44 pm

blue04 wrote:
Mike50 wrote:Let the breeder know last night that she was put down. As I. Bought her with out asking for a health garent I was surprised to hear him offer me a pup from his next litter at no cost.

I agree. The breeder seems to be holding up his end of the bargain. Does this experience with seizures make you hesitant to get another pup from the same breeder? Does the pedigree of this next litter have a lot in common with the litter that your last pup came from? Does the breeder know of any previous seizure issues with dogs on either side of the pedigree?

First I don't believe the breeder owes me any thing. I didn't ask for a health garent before I bought the pup..Do I want another with the same background????? According to his vet that sees 6 dogs from previous litters she was the first.
So many breeds so little time!
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 am

Mike50: As far as pup guarantees, most breeders provide them without asking. It's part of the deal. Two years is normal.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ohmymy111 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:52 pm

I read this thread with a quite a bit of interest as you will see below

Sunday Feb 10
I got up at 3am like I usually do to get ready for work, not a thing I like to do, but it pays the bills. I let all the dogs, 10, outside to do their morning business. Got food ready and called them over to be put up. One dog didn't come. I thought what the heck, did Hugo get out of the fence? Called him for a minute and still no Hugo. Went out and checked the fenced area in front of the house, and there is Hugo sitting, completely oblivious to me. I thought what the heck is this, picked him up and he yelped, so I brought him in the house to see if he was injured, nothing. Gave him some food, which he ate with passion, just like always, and boom down he goes and has a seizure. I thought OMG, what is going on, he got back up ran around the house confused and running into things. Called the Vet, but no emergency service until later in the morning, So I crated him up when he seemed better and went into work. I took an early meal break and came home to check on him, and he is just sitting there zoned out, covered in do-do. I called the Emergency Vet and talked to them for a while, they said he is probably still zonked out from the seizure, and I could wait and see how things went.

I waited for another few hours and He was was still really out of it, so I called back to the emergency Vet, and said I am bringing him in. They are 55 miles from my house in Jamestown ND, crated Hugo up and away we went. On the hour trip down he had 4 more seizures!

Heart rate was good and strong along with respiration. Temp was 102.2 Blood work shows nothing. A couple of things are slightly elevated, but nothing that would be of concern. No signs in the blood work of kidney or liver issues. After an injection of diazepam, and then before he left of Phenobarbital, he is just zonked out resting.

Hugo is 5 days shy of 10 months old, so while can't absolutely rule our epilepsy, or a brain tumor, seems unlikely, especially given the sudden onset.

He is on a course of antibiotics, just to rule out an infection as his white count was slightly elevated, and I have a 1 month supply of 32.4 phenobarbital tablets. Once we are sure he isn't having any more seizures we will wean him off them and see if there is a reoccurence.

He had a seizure the following morning shortly after getting his pill and eating. He went out to do his business, and after defecating he immediately had a seizure. Since then he seems to be competely back to normal. I have taken him on a couple of runs of about 1 1/2 miles, and he shows absolutely no ill affects
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot TAN AKC MH
Tres Bon 3, Excellent, Excellent 2, CACT. Autumn Trials, France 2006
1st Place Solo, 1st Place Couples, French Brittany National Trials 2007
1st Place Wild Bird Couples, French Brittany National Trials 2008
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleues TAN
Gun CH Chloe de la Crête Bleue
GUN CH Darius de L'Etoile du Nord TAN
CH Etoile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
Smith's Frances de L'Etoile du Nord TAN
http://www.letoiledunordkennels.com