Seizure

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Seizure

Postby Mike50 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 am

Yesterday while we were out hunting my 7 month old had what I think was a seizure.
After about 3 hrs. of running hard with two 15 min. breaks in between. She had just been working a running rooster that flushed wild or she bumped. I decided to call it a day and started heading back to the truck. She was out in front of me and I noticed she started to wobble. Next thing I see is her laying on her side shaking and shuttering as I get to her I see her mouth chattering like shes being electrocuted after a minute or so she begins to drool. I'm thinking I've got to get her to the truck. As I move toward her. She gives me a growl still shaking lying on her side. So I cancel that idea. And just watch. Slowly the shaking stops and shes up on her elbows with a stair into no mans land. After it happened she wanted to hunt but we headed for the truck and called it a day.
I called my vet and he said unless it happens more than twice a month he wouldn't put her on meds. But said I should give her a vitamin supplement.
also dogs get feed twice a day and the morning feeding was well over 2 hours before this happened.
Anyone else have any experience with this in a young pup.
So many breeds so little time!
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Seizure

Postby orhunter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:16 am

I know of a PP that would have seisures when it got excited. Mostly it's hind legs would stop working. Eventually they went away. This sounds different and not good.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 am

A number of my friends have had great success using Tuna Oil (not regular fish oil).
Tuna Oil because of it's high DHA content.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby PCO » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:05 am

Not with my dog. My best friend/hunting crony and his first Boykin had a problem with it 12 years ago. He (Cullen-great dog but loved to eat my waders and the liner of my hunting coat) had to be put down due to the frequency and how badly it was affecting him. He is missed...
PCO
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Mike50 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:40 am

Doc E wrote:A number of my friends have had great success using Tuna Oil (not regular fish oil).

DHA?
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Mike50 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:43 am

Could it have been brought on by lack of hydration?
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby PCO » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:01 pm

Mike50 wrote:Could it have been brought on by lack of hydration?

possibly, almost like having a heat stroke-convulsion
PCO
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby gusto » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 pm

My female GWP went through this in March of 2010. It started the same way you described, took approximately 4-5mins for the dog to come around. I thought originally she was poisoned and started running with her in my arms back to my truck which was a mile away. That didnt last long, put her down, got to the truck and she was coming up the road after me like nothing happened. She went on to have approximately 5 more seizures, all with me in the field during high activity. The vet told us that it could be 100s of causes for the seizures and that tracking down the problem would be very expensive. He basically said the same thing to us your vet said. In the first week of October of 2010 she had another seizure, took about 5 mins for her to come around, she got up and looked at me and ran back to the truck. When i got to the truck she wasnt there and i looked for a week, a farmer found her body about 100yards from the seizure spot.
I wish you luck, i think your on a hard road.
gusto
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:43 pm

May want to consider thyroid as well... Low thyroid output can result in the seizures as well. More specifically, check Free T4 and TSH.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog, is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jmr12 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Mike
I have a problem hunting with my 5yr old female, any time of the year..I can't keep enough water in her. If I stop breefley and offer her water she won't take it. 2 years ago we were hunting in some hot weather. She was even able to get in a pond and swim. Wouldn't drink. Just wanted to hunt. She shut down..Came back to me and layed at my feet and wouldn't move. I carried her to a ditch that had some water running in it and cooled her down, and gave her a drink. I have since learned that while hunting with her, I have to stop, sit down and relax, which sometimes I don't mind. Let her relax and she will eventually drink. I have to do this with her even in cooler conditions. My male dog on the other hand, is always looking for a drink from me. He is a little bigger than my female, prob 15 lbs, and drinks 5 times the water.. Just different dogs I guess.
Attachments
IMG_0614.JPG
jmr12
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby PCO » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 pm

beautiful dogs! Good luck
PCO
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby dualgwp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Suggest you begin to carry a small bottle of karo syrup or even orange juice with you when you hunt. If she does this again, you can give her a little to help bring her around. Sometimes it's hypoglycemia... low blood sugar.
Be very careful when the dog comes out of the seizure. I've seen them come up like Cujo.... they don't know who you are, what happened to them, or what is going on. If possible, when they are in the midst of seizing, clip a lead to her so you can keep a handle on her to keep her safe.
Was at a trial a few weeks ago when a very hard going derby GSP went down. We sat with her till she came around, but when she did, she came up with teeth flashing! She then took off running like she was being chased by the devil... she was just confused and scared. The owner got her back and from all accounts is doing fine.

it's scarey! And hopefully you won't see another, but just in case....
Dual
dualgwp
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby ryanr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Mike50 wrote:
Doc E wrote:A number of my friends have had great success using Tuna Oil (not regular fish oil).

DHA?

Yes, it's a compound contained in fish oil that is pretty important to brain development and function, especially in pups. Many dog foods now advertise they "contain DHA." Fish oil also has several other important benefits for a dog's health.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Mike50 wrote:

DHA?

Docosahexanoic acid. It's one of the two omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil.

Click here for a number of articles from peer reviewed scientific journal articles
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en ... 8&as_sdtp=

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby huntnvet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:31 pm

Mike50,

Very sorry to hear about your pup. However, not unusual for a dog to have a seizure during their lifetime. Some will only have 1 or 2 during their life and otherwise fine. Hopefully your pup will fall into this category.
However, because this is a young dog, if he has another one, I would recommend a basic workup from your vet: CBC, Chem, UA, +/- abdominal ultrasound.

I'm not sure I would waste my time with the tuna oil.....I read the 1st 3 papers that docE gave links for, none of them support his claim! In fact, the authors in the 1st and 3rd actually state in their publication, that it didn't work and the placebo groups saw a greater decrease in seizure frequency.

Good luck.
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare