Brown Urine

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Brown Urine

Postby Mike50 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 am

Now that we have snow on the ground. I noticed yesterday my 7 month old female has dark colored urine. She doesn't look like she is coming in to her first heat cycle. She does seem to have some tenderness in her belly when I load her in the back of the truck. But shes always let out a little wimp when I grab her by the collar and placed my hand under her belly to load. I'll be taking her to the vet on Monday unless someone thinks this is an urgent issue.
So many breeds so little time!
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Brown Urine

Postby Mike50 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 pm

Today I just checked and its back to normal. whats up with that??????????
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby jmr12 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Mike
Im not a vet....but...a friend has a 7+yr old GSP. After hunting most of a hot day, her urine was drk brn also..Got some water in her and was ok the next morning.
jmr12
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Mike50 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:21 am

Yes we were out hunting also. Not hot here with snow on the ground. She wouldn't take water before loading up. But I figured she'd learned how to scoop snow to quench her thirst. Must not have. Thanks.
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby njp158 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:39 pm

I had some experience with this, and ended up taking my dog to the vet to get it checked out. Someone hear with more biology knowledge than me can correct my wording as I always get hemoglobin and myoglobin confused. I was told this is basically an excess of one of those to (hemoglobin) I think in the urine. Marathon runners can experience this as well from the strain running that distance puts on their bodies. I was told that as long as you don't see blood mixed in with it, its not really a big issue. Just need to get a lot of fluids into them. This can be seen in cases of heat exhaustion as well. My GSP gets it from time to time after a really hard hunt, and after getting some water in him he's fine the next day.
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby PCO » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:15 am

Dehydration/- ketoacidosis possibly. has it resolved?
PCO
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dr Tim » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:18 am

Try this to learn about the possible reason behind what you saw. The dark urine is most likely due to heavy exercise with heat or trauma. If you see the dark urine, lay the dog off for a few days so you don't push the envelope and turn it into a really bad scene. We see it in racing sled dogs on occasion and can require some IV fluids, etc to turn it around.

Your description of dark urine seemed much more different than what you have seen in the past froma dog, I bet almost a dark orange tint to it.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/car ... NM7dOThrK0
Dr Tim
Started
Started

Postby Mike50 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:59 am

PCO wrote:Dehydration/- ketoacidosis possibly. has it resolved?

Yes she was back to normal the next day.

Thanks for the input.
Mike,
Mike50
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Dr Tim » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:16 pm

One thing to know about these brown urine dogs is how this can turn into a catatrosphy. These would be the dogs I have seen on dog races that have an occurence of brown urine, then rest, anywhere from 4 hours or till the next day and then run again. And then they drop and die. Not all of them but some do.

So, with a dog that shows this brown urine know that it is best to lay this dog off for sevral days at least or you can run into this sad event. I have seen it in races first hand and is one of the medical issues taught to mushers and hunters should be equally aware.

They look great, want to go but sit on your hands and drop the dog/no exercise/etc. In the horse world they call this Monday morning disease or tying up.
Dr Tim
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare