DD with OCD?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

DD with OCD?

Postby cjs180 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:47 am

Anyone had a dog that had this and had the surgery to correct it? I have a 9 month old female that has this in her left front shoulder. I am wondering what the long term prognosis is. Can I expect to see this show up in the other shoulder?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
cjs180
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: DD with OCD?

Postby figgel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:46 am

Did you let your breeder know of this? OCD is often heriditary and a good breeder would want to know they threw a pup with this problem. From the little I know about OCD, it is POSSIBLE that it develops in other limbs, but unless it presents itself, you probably won't know. I wish you luck and a the dog a speedy recovery.
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby cjs180 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:14 pm

I did email the breeder the vet's diagnoses along with the x-rays. Have not heard back from him yet..
cjs180
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:51 pm

I know a few people that have had dogs with OCD. A couple of them had to have 2 surgeries on their dogs.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Dr Tim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Typically in the hands of a good surgeon this dog will return to normal activity after having sugery.. Don't sit o it long before the surgery as it can turn into a joint mouce, a spur that gets loose, and then can cause more damage. THe other shoulder can be affected and an xray shoul show whether or not it is there currently.
Dr Tim
Started
Started

Postby cjs180 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Has anyone had a dog after this surgery? Are they fine afterwards?
cjs180
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby KJ » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:34 pm

I just heard today that a friend's DD was also just diagnosed with OCD. I think she is around a year old. I had never heard of OCD until the VDD started requiring xrays a year or so ago. How often does it come up? Does it seem to be limited to (or more common to) specific DD lines? I had never heard of OCD being a problem with GSPs, GWPs or other versatile breeds before, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. Do other German breed clubs require OCD testing, too?

Why did the VDD start requiring xrays for OCD? Did the rate of OCD cases in the breed appear to be increase?
KJ
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby DrahtsundBraats » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 am

I just heard today that a friend's DD was also just diagnosed with OCD. I think she is around a year old. I had never heard of OCD until the VDD started requiring xrays a year or so ago. How often does it come up? Does it seem to be limited to (or more common to) specific DD lines? I had never heard of OCD being a problem with GSPs, GWPs or other versatile breeds before, but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. Do other German breed clubs require OCD testing, too?

Why did the VDD start requiring xrays for OCD? Did the rate of OCD cases in the breed appear to be increase?

KJ,
The requirement started this year. I don't know what caused the change or the % of dogs affected. But a very small % of dogs were vVW carriers and yet that has become a focus for breeders as well and now required on the stud dog form as part of disclosure. Many cases of OCD that are found are not visually evident but do show on clinical examination. The number of dogs affected is quite small and from my knowledge it is not confined to any particular line. OCD is present in all sporting breeds. In some cases, an abrasion or malformation of the joint my correct without notice with no apparent disability. Classically, a young dog 5-12 months of age has a recurring limp on one or both sides but this may not always be the case or the injury may not be so severe as to be seen. Without radiographs, you can't really say whether a dog has the condition or not.

Can't speak for other German breed clubs, but the VDD does make changes to the breeding requirements when it feels its needed. Doesn't mean there is an epidemic. I would say it has more to do with wanting to eliminate (as much as genetics allows) conditions that would compromise a dogs working ability. I think a parallel would be the effort by GWP breeders to combat immuno-hypothyroidism. Whereas such actions are voluntary in AKC clubs, it can be mandated in Euro clubs.
DrahtsundBraats
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby kiwi » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:56 pm

and like all things it can also be ignored....... even by the euro clubs
kiwi
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby cjs180 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Had the surgery done this past Thursday. Pup seems to be doing well and is already walking on it more than I would expect her to.

Judging by the number of PM's I received and phone calls from people, there are a number of people on this forum that have had run in's with OCD. My vet told me he had done the same surgery on a shorthair the prior week. He also mentioned that he mostly sees this in the sporting breeds.
cjs180
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Return to Healthcare