Anal Sacs

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby Solon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:57 am

I will relate my observations which are limited and I have not thoroughly researched the subject. One of our dogs is a Small Munsterlander, now 10 years old, that has always had a problem with her anal glands. She has been on a variety of dog foods and that variable has never made a difference. She shows her anal glands are bothering her by licking her anal area. Every few weeks or so I express her glands and that relieves the situation for a while. Normally, you would expect large and firm stools to express the glands during defecation. This dog has very firm stools. Sometimes she leaves me a little present in the basement and you can simply pick up those rocks with a paper towel. you could break a window with her stools. Maybe her stools are not sufficiently big in diameter to express the glands, but they are certainly firm enough.

This dog also tends to show weeping in the corner of her eyes, so that her tear ducts also don't function all that well. My theory is her ducts, both tear and anal gland are insufficient. This could be a developmental problem or some theorize it is due to a low grade allergy. This SM has shown no other symptoms of allergy, such as skin rashes or coat problems and she has been on many diets that don't correlate with her problem.

So I conclude the issue with this dog is an anatomical variation not conducive to the anal glands emptying well. I have noticed that over the years, one anal gland has gotten much smaller and rarely has much of anything in it to express. The other is not all that big and another observation is that the expressed secretions from this dog do not have much of an odor. In contrast, I have expressed another dog's anal glands once in a while when we can detect the odor, and that dog's secretions are quite smelly. My interpretation is that the secretions or the microorganisms in the secretions vary from dog to dog and this might be a factor.

Take that for what it is worth??
Solon
Started
Started
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 am

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby blue04 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 pm

My vet tells me that anal gland issues are sometimes caused by anatomical issues. For example, I had a dog that had occasional issues and had to have them manually drained. My vet seemed to think that it was because his anal glands sat slightly lower than most dogs, and therefore the pressure from bowel movements wasn't enough to express them.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby hicntry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 pm

The reason I asked if the dogs spent a large amount of time in the house is because everything to do with heating and cooling dries out the hide to an extent. I have never seen an outside dog with an anal gland problem.....not saying there aren't any. Insided dogs contend with more baths, heating and A/C units which have dryers in them.....I think the indoor life is where many of the skin problems come from today....and possibly anal gland problems.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: North Fork, CA

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby ryanr » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am

hicntry wrote:The reason I asked if the dogs spent a large amount of time in the house is because everything to do with heating and cooling dries out the hide to an extent. I have never seen an outside dog with an anal gland problem.....not saying there aren't any. Insided dogs contend with more baths, heating and A/C units which have dryers in them.....I think the indoor life is where many of the skin problems come from today....and possibly anal gland problems.


I tend to agree with you. Our Labradors slept indoors (in crates in the basement) but always spent the majority of their time outside and their coats showed it. They preferred being outside in the winter because their coats were so good that being inside was too warm for them. I also never gave them baths in the fall/winter unless I absolutely needed to. I didn't want to strip away the natural oils that aided in keeping them warm and water repellent. Some people would say "oh this dog needs a bath" and I'd just say "not at all, he's a working dog with a proper working coat." My almost 6 month old DD has yet to have a bath but he only spends a couple hours outside right now and I think his coat shows that. Now that he's a little older pup I'm getting ready to allow him to spend a few days a week in an outside run while I'm at work. I'll still take him with me too a couple days a week.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 2106
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:54 pm
Location: Lehighton, PA

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby Dr Tim » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 pm

I have often found extra fiber can make a big difference with labs and AG issues. For instance, 1/4 cup canned pumpkin per day can allow for a larger bowel movement to express the AG's outside while doing the business. Many foods have fiber types that can be helpful as well. Otherwise. AG infections need to be treated by the vet or you can also mistake perianal itching as an anal gland problem. Perianal itching is due to allergies, most notably pollen allergies.
Dr Tim
Started
Started
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:02 am

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby SMAbby » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:21 pm

hicntry wrote: I have never seen an outside dog with an anal gland problem.....not saying there aren't any. .



I don't want this to be taken as I am bashing kennel dogs. I just have a feeling someone will take it as such.

But can this be due to people that live with the dog inside day in and out are tend to notice when things are "Off" with the dogs. Pretty hard for me to notice the occational arse itch on the carpet whenit is happening in front of me. If I had them out in the kennel, I might miss it.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
User avatar
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby hicntry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:50 pm

SMAbby wrote:
hicntry wrote: I have never seen an outside dog with an anal gland problem.....not saying there aren't any. .



I don't want this to be taken as I am bashing kennel dogs. I just have a feeling someone will take it as such.

But can this be due to people that live with the dog inside day in and out are tend to notice when things are "Off" with the dogs. Pretty hard for me to notice the occational arse itch on the carpet whenit is happening in front of me. If I had them out in the kennel, I might miss it.


No reason to take offence SM, it stands to reason that, in an outdoor setting, the glands are either expressing themselves or they aren't. If they aren't, it will be tough to miss the ensuing problems. Speaking for myself, I am in the dog yards a lot. Never have seen a dog doing the butt scoot.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: North Fork, CA

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby SMAbby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 am

hicntry wrote:
SMAbby wrote:
hicntry wrote: I have never seen an outside dog with an anal gland problem.....not saying there aren't any. .



I don't want this to be taken as I am bashing kennel dogs. I just have a feeling someone will take it as such.

But can this be due to people that live with the dog inside day in and out are tend to notice when things are "Off" with the dogs. Pretty hard for me to notice the occational arse itch on the carpet whenit is happening in front of me. If I had them out in the kennel, I might miss it.


No reason to take offence SM, it stands to reason that, in an outdoor setting, the glands are either expressing themselves or they aren't. If they aren't, it will be tough to miss the ensuing problems. Speaking for myself, I am in the dog yards a lot. Never have seen a dog doing the butt scoot.


No No No, See that isn't what I wanted. I wasn't taking offence. :D This forum stuff sucks for emotion. I was just posing a question.

On my vets advise, I switched to Iams dogfood. It kills me that I am feeding them a Walmart quality food. But she said that people are to wound up about corn and other stuff. So, I decided to give it an 8-12 week trail and see if there is improvement. Whateverhappens, it cant be good to keep switching the foods on them.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
User avatar
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby hicntry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:44 am

SMAbby wrote:
No reason to take offence SM, it stands to reason that, in an outdoor setting, the glands are either expressing themselves or they aren't. If they aren't, it will be tough to miss the ensuing problems. Speaking for myself, I am in the dog yards a lot. Never have seen a dog doing the butt scoot.


SMAbby wrote:
No No No, See that isn't what I wanted. I wasn't taking offence. :D This forum stuff sucks for emotion. I was just posing a question.

On my vets advise, I switched to Iams dogfood. It kills me that I am feeding them a Walmart quality food. But she said that people are to wound up about corn and other stuff. So, I decided to give it an 8-12 week trail and see if there is improvement. Whateverhappens, it cant be good to keep switching the foods on them.


No, No, No, SM....when I said "No reason to take offence".....I didn't mean you... I didn't mean me....I meant there is no reason for "ANYONE" to take offence to your inquiry. :lol: :lol:
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 3577
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Location: North Fork, CA

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby SMAbby » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:32 pm

hicntry wrote:
SMAbby wrote:
No reason to take offence SM, it stands to reason that, in an outdoor setting, the glands are either expressing themselves or they aren't. If they aren't, it will be tough to miss the ensuing problems. Speaking for myself, I am in the dog yards a lot. Never have seen a dog doing the butt scoot.


SMAbby wrote:
No No No, See that isn't what I wanted. I wasn't taking offence. :D This forum stuff sucks for emotion. I was just posing a question.

On my vets advise, I switched to Iams dogfood. It kills me that I am feeding them a Walmart quality food. But she said that people are to wound up about corn and other stuff. So, I decided to give it an 8-12 week trail and see if there is improvement. Whateverhappens, it cant be good to keep switching the foods on them.


No, No, No, SM....when I said "No reason to take offence".....I didn't mean you... I didn't mean me....I meant there is no reason for "ANYONE" to take offence to your inquiry. :lol: :lol:



Glad we are on the same page now! :lol: :D
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
User avatar
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby SMAbby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:04 pm

I haven't checked her anal glands yet, but I have to say that after switching to Iams, all the dogs have better stools.
I would never have thought I would be buying walmart grade food for my dogs. I thought PP was a good food. My vet told me all the corn hype was blown out of proportion. In desperation I listened and switched. Now, I don't know how they will perform on it or what the coats will look like. But so far so good.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
User avatar
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster
 
Posts: 1779
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby njp158 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Well, in the time since I first wrote my question here I have switched foods. I have not had an issue since. While it may still be a little premature to tell, I'm hoping I've got this thing licked.
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Previous

Return to Healthcare

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests