Anal Sacs

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Anal Sacs

Postby njp158 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 pm

I have a 5.5 year old GSP who has never had any anal sac issues. All of a sudden, they've become clogged, infected etc. It took two rounds of antibitiotics, but we got it cleared up. However, it was back in about a month. The dog has been eating the same food for about a year now, and has had no issues in that year. No other changes in diet, etc. I know that occasionally some dogs have these issues, but does it seem strange for a recurring issue to pop up all of a sudden at almost six years of age? Can't figure out what is going on. The vet's recommendation was to drain them at home frequently about once a month, which we started doing, but doesn't seem to be helping that much. Anyone else experience anything like this? Taking him for antibiotics once a month is killing me.
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Anal Sacs

Postby wrangler1 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Are the dog's stools hard? What fiber is in the food he is on?
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby blue04 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Sometimes soft stools are the issue. Sometimes it's the dog's specifc anatomy. Just like people, all dogs are built slight differently. Firming up the stools will likely help.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby figgel » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 am

If you began eating McDonald's french fries today and every day for the next year, you may not notice a difference in your weight or health next week...or even next month, but in a year you may begin to notice your cholesterol increased or your sodium level...or even the beginning of a night-shade allergy. Conditions associated with food intake can take a while to develope. Perhaps the change in food then (1 yr ago) is beginning to affect the dog in this manner now. Can he tolerate the food he was on before? Can you switch back?
figgel
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Doc E » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 pm

The best prevention is to add 8 - 10 LOW SODIUM Green Beans to each feeding.
Green beans provide the perfect roughage to clean out anal glands.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby njp158 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 am

Currently his stools are normal. His current diet is Fromm's gold. The ingredient list is:

Fresh duck, chicken meal, fresh chicken, brown rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, menhaden fish meal, chicken fat, fresh lamb, fresh Russet potatoes, dried tomato pomace, whole egg, salmon oil, fresh Wisconsin cheese, flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, alfalfa meal, fresh carrots, fresh lettuce, fresh celery, chicken cartilage, monocalcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, dl-methionine, chicory root extract, calcium sulfate, Yucca schidigera extract, sodium selenite, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, choline bitartrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, copper sulfate, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sorbic acid (preservative), ferrous proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, magnesium proteinate, cobalt proteinate, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Enterococcous faecium

Pror to this food he was fed Premium edge. I took him off it because it was made by diamond, and they just have to many recalls. I'd prefer not to go back to that food. I'll give the green beans a try and see how that works.
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby wrangler1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:31 am

njp158 wrote:Currently his stools are normal. His current diet is Fromm's gold. The ingredient list is:

Fresh duck, chicken meal, fresh chicken, brown rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, menhaden fish meal, chicken fat, fresh lamb, fresh Russet potatoes, dried tomato pomace, whole egg, salmon oil, fresh Wisconsin cheese, flaxseed, brewers dried yeast, alfalfa meal, fresh carrots, fresh lettuce, fresh celery, chicken cartilage, monocalcium phosphate, salt, potassium chloride, dl-methionine, chicory root extract, calcium sulfate, Yucca schidigera extract, sodium selenite, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, choline bitartrate, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, manganous sulfate, magnesium sulfate, copper sulfate, cobalt carbonate, calcium iodate, sorbic acid (preservative), ferrous proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, magnesium proteinate, cobalt proteinate, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Enterococcous faecium

Pror to this food he was fed Premium edge. I took him off it because it was made by diamond, and they just have to many recalls. I'd prefer not to go back to that food. I'll give the green beans a try and see how that works.

I am not surprised he is having anal gland issues on that food. You should use a food with beet pulp as the fiber. Tomato Pomace is not a great fiber and I have heard your case before.

I wouldn't use Diamond either but there are many foods with beet pulp, more have it than not.

Green beans might do a nice job cleaning him up, but his stools need to get harder or else it will happen again.

Beet pulp is the only fiber that really does help digestive health, that is why every performance food has it.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/b ... p_myth.htm

All of the studies are footnoted.

Don't let people tell you it is a filler. There is only about a coffee mug's amount of beet pulp in a large bag of food.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Doc E » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 am

wrangler1 wrote:Green beans might do a nice job cleaning him up, but his stools need to get harder or else it will happen again.

Beet pulp is the only fiber that really does help digestive health, that is why every performance food has it.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/b ... p_myth.htm

All of the studies are footnoted.

Don't let people tell you it is a filler. There is only about a coffee mug's amount of beet pulp in a large bag of food.

Right on the money with your post.
But giving green beans daily makes up for people who use a food with no beet pulp.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby wrangler1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:38 pm

green beans do add bulk and dogs lover them

the food i use has chicory, beet pulp and pysllium and no matter how active he is, every stool is firm and his rear smells like roses, :D
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby njp158 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:13 pm

I'm going to try to green beans, and probably look for a new food. Been doing some research already on this. One more question. I compared the ingredient list of his old food (premium edge) to his new food (fromm's). Both have the tomato pumace and neither has the beet pulp. Does it still make sense to point to the tomato pumace as the probable culprit given the fact it was the source of fiber in both foods?

Again, the dog is 5.5 years old, and was fed the previous food basically his whole life with no anal gland issues. I think it does make sense that the food is very probably the issue, I'm just wondering if it's something else in the food and not the tomato pumace.
njp158
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby wrangler1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Not sure, could be. Are the stools much softer on Fromm? Does the dog poop more when running around?

You should be able to fix this as it is normally a fiber issue.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby SMAbby » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Are you talking about CANNED green beans?

I am having the same issue with my new pup. I have 3 dogs. The older one is perfect, no issues with foods. 2nd has bad gas ALL the time. I can set my watch to it! 3rd dog has bad gas and terrible anal gland issues. I have to express them weekly! Hardly ever has a solid stool etc. Frustrating trying to poop scoop cow pies in the yard.
Have tried 3 diffrent foods with little or no change. This is with them being on the new foods for 2 months. Last food was Nutrilife I think. No grains etc. No change.

Looking into a probiotic but am not happy that I have to do this. Where have the days gone that dogs did well on junk store foods like old roy? :x
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby birdshooter » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am

Likely a food change may be in order. Something else you try is mixing in a tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal to his feed each day. Buy the whole seeds and grind up enough in your coffee grinder to last a week at a time and store in freezer.

Not only is it an excellent source of fiber, but also rich in Omega 3 fatty acids. Makes the coat very nice.
birdshooter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:08 am

I am not going to add anything here, but, I am curious.....do these dogs in question basically live in the house? Just for my own curiosity.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby SMAbby » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:15 pm

hicntry wrote:I am not going to add anything here, but, I am curious.....do these dogs in question basically live in the house? Just for my own curiosity.

Mine are. But they get plenty of run time.If I don't take them for a field run, they have the treadmill to run on.

I did get rid of the PP Shredded crap and things are better gas wise.
VC Max vom Schutzenknapp VJP 75, HZP190, VGP 303 PI 4H Nose, NA 112, UT 204 Invite 196
Baja vom Wamsbach VJP 64, HZP 169, NA 112
Anka vom Loofkamp VJP 66, HZP 139,HZP 172, NA 112
Krystal Creeks Untamed Spirit ( Abby) NA 93 Prize III UT 200 Prize II
SMAbby
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Next

Return to Healthcare