Parvo

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Parvo

Postby Sierra Wirehair » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:15 pm

Our new pup, Max(GWP) , is 3 mo and up to date on all shots. He has had three walks in the sage brush and no contact with ohter dogs other than the three he lives with. He contracted parvo and he had to go to the emergency room last night. He was better this morning but hadn't eaten anything as of noon. Any thoughts or treatments?

Mic
Sierra Wirehair
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Parvo

Postby JTracyII » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:49 pm

My GSP got parvo as a pup. As far as I know the best treatment is just to treat the symptoms (dehydration, etc.) until the virus runs its course. My dog made it fine. I hope yours does as well. I know it is tough to watch your pup go through this.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sierra Wirehair » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Did you take him into the vet or do it at home?
Sierra Wirehair
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby JTracyII » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:28 am

Sorry, first time back.
I took her to the vet to have IV fluids. Doubt she would have made it at home. She was very young and had lost considerable weight by the time I got her in. How is your pup doing?
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby hicntry » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:09 am

Parvo is more prominent in hot weather. That being the case, since my dogs are born and raised outside, I kept them in pens with misters on them. I never lost a pup to parvo and probably had 100 or better with it since it seems to be endemic here. I lost 5 pups when I rearranged the yards and didn't have the misters installed yet. They got installed PDQ when I figured out what was going on. I am not going to pay $1000 buck a head for a whole litter for a vet to treat them when I can do it.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Sierra Wirehair » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 am

I thought about putting a mister in the kennel to beat the summer heat but it sounds like it would be dual purpose. Max is coming home today and is in better spirits. I'll keep you all poste4d.

Mic
Sierra Wirehair
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby Sierra Wirehair » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Max is home and getting his old piss and wind back into himself. He is trying to eat as much as he wants but we are regulating his intake as per the vet. His is a bit skinny but home jsut the same. This is a terrible virus.

Mic
Sierra Wirehair
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby huntnvet » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:53 pm

Hcntry, I like your philosophy for raising dogs and I often agree with you on things, but using a mister to treat parvovirus!! That is so far out there I started laughing. How do you think a mister actually helps?

I hope nobody follows that advice.
huntnvet
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby hicntry » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am

huntnvet wrote:Hcntry, I like your philosophy for raising dogs and I often agree with you on things, but using a mister to treat parvovirus!! That is so far out there I started laughing. How do you think a mister actually helps?

I hope nobody follows that advice.

It wasn't advice for treatment really, just relaying some experience. I have had a lot of parvo over the years....enough to where all my breedstock has had it. Never lost a pup to it until I rearranged my yards and didn't have the misters up. Lost 5. They dehydrate because of fevers and temps, cool mist keeps them cool and wet. They take in some water constantly as it runs down their face just like you do when in the shower. I didn't realize it was the misters but after rearranging the yards and didn't have the misters up, I found two of the pups sitting in the 15 gal water tub for drinking. Those two survived without a hitch. Misters went back up. Actually vets treat parvo with ringers under the skin....why. Hydrate and keep cool? The biggest difference it the $1000 dollar bill per pup.
Ignorance can be fixed but stupid is forever.
Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Jim Beam in one hand, Airedale in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
hicntry
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby steadytowing » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:29 pm

The parvovirus can live in dirt for a long time, so perhaps the issues you were having with your breeding stock was due to the virus that was there from the dogs that had the virus before. Misters are a nice thing to do for your dog, but have no effect on whether or not a dog will contract the parvovirus. That has to do with exposure to the virus and immunity. Of course, hydration is always important, but the reason vets give subdermal liquids is to replenish the hydration that was lost due to the vomiting/diarrhea that was caused by the virus. It is a treatment measure, not a preventative one.
steadytowing
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare