cruciate tear

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

cruciate tear

Postby schultz's honor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:11 pm

We have a 4 year old Pointer that tore his cruciate tendon yesterday, and we are not sure which direction to go with his health care.
As some of you know I had a GSP (Schultz) that blew out both of his knees at about the same time. We did put him down because of the extreme healing time, (and cost) especially with both knees going at the same time.
With our most recent CCL damage to our EP we are looking at a vet bill of $1200.00 and no guarantees that it will work. I am not trying to be cheap skate on this but look at reality and the quality of life this dog may or may not have. From everything that I have read on line is that there is only about a 15% success rate with the surgery. Our vet seems to think that repair of the knee is very likely possible, but,, I have to figure that her outlook on this may be a bit more positive, rather than realistic. After all, she went into this field to fix sick and wounded critters.
Is it fair to the dog to have the procedure done and then not hunt him in order to save his good knee as well as a patched together knee?
I have looked at knee replacement and HOLY SMOKES $6500.00
"Oh give me the grace to catch a fish so big
that even I, when talking about it afterward
may have no need to lie"
schultz's honor
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: cruciate tear

Postby marysburg » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Two years ago, our then 3 year old Britt injured her hind leg. We thought it was a luxated patella, but when the surgery was done they found that she had a knee joint capsule tear and a tear in her patellar ligament. The ligaments inside the knee were good, and the vet said that he thought she would be 100% on it. The physio was long and tedious, but we did it scrupulously, and she recovered fully and hunted the next fall. A year later, she did the same thing to the other knee. Same surgery, same drill. Excellent recovery. She is hunting this fall.

I figured that we could not replace the dog for the cost of the surgery ($1700 each time). The way I understand it, you make sure that your surgeon is someone who does knee repairs often and well, then you do the rehab slowly and thoroughly. Then, you hope for the best.
marysburg
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby JTracyII » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:11 pm

I went for the surgery about 3 years ago with my GSP. We did the traditional repair as the TPLO was too expensive for us. We have had good luck. She still puts a little less weight on that leg at times when standing around, but when walking, running, or hunting it has not slowed her down a bit. She is only 4 now so I am wondering how she will do when older. The other leg has held up fine. Good luck in your decision. I am sorry to hear about your dog. Let us know what you decide.
JTracyII
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby patton1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 pm

http://tiggerpoz.com/
I have heard some success with this method.......I know it sounds crazy but some have success...
patton1
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby rogue » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:36 pm

If your willing to put ur dog down rather then
Pay $1200.00 for the surgery maybe you should reconsider owning dogs!
Just saying.
rogue
Started
Started

Postby Doc E » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:28 pm

So, you didn't have the dog on a QUALITY Fish Oil did ya . . . . . . . .
The amount of protection from Fish oil is a whole lot less than Cruciate Ligament (it's not a tendon) surgery.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Georgia Boy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Doc E wrote:So, you didn't have the dog on a QUALITY Fish Oil did ya . . . . . . . .
The amount of protection from Fish oil is a whole lot less than Cruciate Ligament (it's not a tendon) surgery.

Studies show even a quality dog food with the proper levels of protein and fat for a working dog goes a long way in helping to prevent these types of injuries. Of course some dogs are genetically predisposed to certain types of injuries though.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Calvinator » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Could of swore I recently read an article of a study that talked about early spay and neuter as a culprit in the rise of such injuries. Dogs that are altered prior to the closing of growth plates tend to develop longer leg bones. Consequently to the altering many put on weight. Longer legs combined with excessive weight has led to a rise in these type of injuries. Got to try and find the article.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Doc E » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Calvinator wrote:Could of swore I recently read an article of a study that talked about early spay and neuter as a culprit in the rise of such injuries. Dogs that are altered prior to the closing of growth plates tend to develop longer leg bones. Consequently to the altering many put on weight. Longer legs combined with excessive weight has led to a rise in these type of injuries. Got to try and find the article.

Calvin

100% exactly correct.

Doc E
HR UH MHR WR SR Casey RIP my friend :(
HRCH HR UH Tucker 1270 HR Ch. points :D
HRCH HR UH Weezle 250 HR Ch. points :)
Doc E
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Camspal » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Doc E wrote:
So, you didn't have the dog on a QUALITY Fish Oil did ya . . . . . . . .

Doc, As far as fish oil what do you recomend?
Have you or any of the PP guys ever heard of fish oil causing UTI's in PP?
Thanks Camspal
Camspal
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby webfoot1973 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:08 pm

My Griff has had 2 TPLO surgery's and is only 4.5 years old. Trust me I know money isues, but it has been worth every penny. He has always been on good food, wasnt neutered until his second operation , so I am thinking it had to do with breeding. I know now the difference between a good and bad breeder. The method that they use the fishing works great on small to medium dogs. My dog weighs in about 62 pounds so I opted for TPLO . Its a long road back, but both he and I are doing great now. Do the best you can and things will work out. Listen to the vet after the surgery and do things by the book
webfoot1973
Started
Started

Postby schultz's honor » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 pm

rogue wrote:If your willing to put ur dog down rather then
Pay $1200.00 for the surgery maybe you should reconsider owning dogs!
Just saying.

Maybe you outta pound salt!! If you talk to people that know us you will find out that we always have the best interest in our 6 dogs, and we are responsible dog owners.

For those of you who provided positive information, I thank you.
We took Zeke in today and had the surgery done. He is a bit groggy yet.
"Oh give me the grace to catch a fish so big
that even I, when talking about it afterward
may have no need to lie"
schultz's honor
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby rogue » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:47 am

Your right, I don't know you and your dogs just what wrote and how you wrote it, and based on that I stand by what I said.........
rogue
Started
Started

Return to Healthcare