Starting to get worried....limping

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: Starting to get worried....limping

Postby Graves14 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am

Swimming has been the biggest blessing in all of this. I found a pond near me with a very gradual sloped bank. I heel him to my side just at the edge of the water and he will retrieve seemingly forever. It tires him out plenty and doesn't seem to bother his shoulder as much.

He's definitely not getting into or out of the truck on his own. We have 12+ years to hunt together do I'm in no rush. I just want him to get better!
Graves14
Seasoned
Seasoned

Re: Starting to get worried....limping

Postby Graves14 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:12 pm

So I wanted to give everyone an update on how this all turned out.

After being given conflicting diagnosis and almost hitting a well known vet surgeon in the face, I decided to do nothing and see what happened. Resting hasn't helped and before putting him through an invasive surgery I wanted to see if he would heal on his own just letting him manage his own discomfort.

THIS IS NOT THE BEST SOLUTION much of the time but in my case it was.

I've hunted him 3-5 days a week since the beginning of October and there isn't the slightest trace of a limp or discomfort in manual manipulation of the joint. I can only guess that it was a biceps tendon injury or pano but Ill likely never know for sure.

Gus is back giving me 110% and loving every minute of it!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. What all this taught me is to be an advocate for your pet, don't blindly agree to everything a vet tells you. It's your dog and your money. Get a second opinion or even a third and in the end YOU need to decide what's right for your family.
Graves14
Seasoned
Seasoned

Previous

Return to Healthcare