Certifect and Amatraz toxicity

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Certifect and Amatraz toxicity

Postby Georgia Boy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:25 pm

Just wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the serious complications and even death that this product is causing in some dogs. I just had a friend that almost lost his dog to this after trying the product on his vets recommendation. After treating the dog and doing some research his vet told him that working dog seemed to be more susceptible for some reason.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion. http://www.vommountaincreek.com
Georgia Boy
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Certifect and Amatraz toxicity

Postby birdshooter » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:14 pm

This would be the same chemical that is used in the Preventic collars. I have used these collars on and off for several years (quite successfully I might add) without any problems. I would think the amount used in these collars is a safe level for all dogs and has been tested so. In any case the Preventic collars are highly recommended by a good many veterinarians. of course I don't have any proof to back this up, my guess is some dogs could have a reaction (as with any tick preventative) I just think the percentages would be low.
birdshooter
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Certifect and Amatraz toxicity

Postby wrangler1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Amitraz in the collar doesn't seem to be a problem, it is when it is used as a spot treatment it gets dicey. That is a serious chemical.

Advantix II is really effective and very safe and I haven't seen one tick in two seasons.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Healthcare