Tick repellent

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tick repellent

Postby blue04 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 pm

Has anyone used any kind of spray on tick repellent for your dogs? Do you know of anything that actually works, and is safe to use on dogs?

The ticks are much thicker than normal this year, and it would be nice if I could find something to spray on before we go out to train. They're not so bad around my house, but the fields where I train are loaded with them.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Re: Tick repellent

Postby TK » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 am

I am new to the Forum but noticed your question. I hunt and train in the Lowcountry of South Carolina where ticks are a very real issue. My Vet introduced me to Permeltrin 1% spray. I apply the spray to my dogs coat before each trip into the woods even though it calls for a twice a week application. One Caveat, Do Not Use On Or Around Cats! I am told it would be lethal to cats. I also have my dogs on a preventive program for Lyme's.
TK
Pup
Pup

Postby Cyril » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:56 pm

I just started using Avon skin so soft on the recommendation of a friend. It seems to work pretty well over the lat week or so. I had been finding ticks on her every time out even a walk in the park if she brushed up on any vegetation. Use the original no chemicals added and spray on and rub in before we go out.
Cyril
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby mustad » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Anybody ever use this?

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/ ... 99024.aspx

Would be great if it works.
mustad
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I use the topical Advantix K-9 and it works well, but sometimes of the year I will use Mycoex spray. I get it from the vet and it works well. I like it when ticks are really heavy in the early spring and mid fall.

Works for me...

GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Return to Healthcare