What age to spay?

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Re: What age to spay?

Postby GRIFF MAN » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:32 am

orhunter wrote:
I hate heat cycles but won't sacrafice my dog's well being just for my convenience.

" Ahh, you are wise young gra's hopper" :lol:

That is one of my pet peeves....." I just will neuter the dog so it doesn't lift his leg all over the house" :shock:
or
"I don't want to deal with the mess female so I'll spay her" :(

It isn't always about the dog....
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JPDVM2014 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:54 am

Calvinator wrote:To aid in keeping the house clean and wife happy, you can buy a pair of appropriate size youth boys whitey tighties. The tail fit perfectly through the fly. You can then put in panty liners for women. Works like a charm. When unsupervised, I would remove these items, as they can learn to remove them and possibly chew or eat them.

Calvin

I like this idea. I was planning on buying the dog equivalent to this, but this way sounds cheaper. Orhunter, that is exactly how i feel. That is why I started the thread. I figured I would get some feedback. I didn't want to deal with the heats if I didn't have to, but it isn't worth my pup's well-being. My wife isn't too sure about the idea, but she said as long as she doesn't have to change any pads then she doesn't care. Griff Man, I hate that too. After reading the full article that you posted, I'm kind of dissapointed that the SPCA made us get our male dog neutered before we got him. Granted, he was about 2 years old, so it prob isn't as bad as it could have been. And I understand why they do it, but still. Also, neutering did not help him marking or humping. So next time I hear someone say that I'm going to tell them otherwise. Lol.
JPDVM2014
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby orhunter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:54 am

Marking and humping are not sexual, they're dominance traits. Females as well as males will/do hump and mark. My old gal is a leg lifter, she just doesn't have anything to aim with.
Last edited by orhunter on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JPDVM2014 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:33 am

orhunter wrote:My old gal is a leg lifter, she just doesn't have anything to aim with.

:lol: :lol:
JPDVM2014
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby upland hunter » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 pm

So then, if I just want to have one litter with my pup and then have her spayed whats the best age to do this???
Jon
upland hunter
Started
Started

Postby GRIFF MAN » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 pm

upland hunter wrote:So then, if I just want to have one litter with my pup and then have her spayed whats the best age to do this???

Assuming you wait til your bitch is 3 to breed, anytime after that litter would be fine to spay her. I had one bitch that we had to do an C-section on her and we decided to spay her right after the last pup came out. We had no side affects and all went well with her. She is 10 now and acts like a pup, most of the time.

GriffMan
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby LMinWI » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:22 am

We also spayed our female at 5 months old, with much pushing from the vets...
She blew her acl 5 months later....
Ive read several article and referenced a few here that talk about active sport dogs waiting until the bone plates have closed.
Their are many structural issues you can cause spaying too early we are waiting until after the first heat cycle... hoping around 14 month old.

http://caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html
LMinWI
Pup
Pup

Previous

Return to Healthcare