Losing puppy teeth

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Losing puppy teeth

Postby bigmike86 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Should I be limiting what my dog is chewing on while he is losing his puppy teeth? He was chewing his bone for a while the other night when i noticed it was beet red from blood. Just curious if I should let him keep doing this or limit his bone chewage. Thanks
Ollie (Fox) Vom Schweichenberg, D1(J)
bigmike86
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Losing puppy teeth

Postby mojo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:48 pm

My dog simply limited himself. I saw the same thing and a day or so later the only thing he would chew on was a blanket or his pillow. He stopped going for anything hard....including his food. I had to water the food again to get him to wolf it down as usual.
mojo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Calvinator » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:22 pm

Would a wild canine not chew, rip or tear food while losing puppy teeth? A nice raw chicken leg quarter is an excellent teether.

Calvin
Calvinator
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:08 pm

I've never had a dog seem to be affected much by losing teeth. I have however learned to not go barefoot around the house when they are losing teeth, I always step on one or two, and dang they are sharp.
There are people with opinions, and people with experience. Smile at one, and listen to the other.

"Knowledge without mileage is just bull$#*!" Henry Rollins
Jay
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby blue04 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 pm

I've never had a dog turn down food while teething. I suspect they just figure out they need to chew in a different part of their mouth.

The best tool for a teething pup is a frozen wash cloth. Wet the cloth, squeeze out most of the water and put it in the freezer until it's crunchy. The cold feels good on the sore gums, and the pups love them. Take the cloth away before it thaws enough for the pup to shred it :-)

I keep a few of these in the freezer when my pups are teething and rotate them.
blue04
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby bigmike86 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 am

Well it's a good thing these dogs can take care of themselves. I thought he wouldnt start losing them for another few weeks, and I was simultaneously wondering why he was losing his appetite. Then I noticed the red bone but had to leave for a week on business. My wife didn't notice anything unusual but I just checked when I came back last night and he has a nice new set of pearly whites!

Looks a lot less like crazy gremlin teeth...
Ollie (Fox) Vom Schweichenberg, D1(J)
bigmike86
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby wrangler1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:19 pm

bigmike86 wrote:Should I be limiting what my dog is chewing on while he is losing his puppy teeth? He was chewing his bone for a while the other night when i noticed it was beet red from blood. Just curious if I should let him keep doing this or limit his bone chewage. Thanks

No don't limit his chewing at all. I would use something like a large Nylabone though.

It is important that they have something hard at this stage because the pressure from chewing sets the adult teeth in the jawbone.
wrangler1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Healthcare