Tick/Flea Meds. Vectra 3D vs K9 Advantix

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Tick/Flea Meds. Vectra 3D vs K9 Advantix

Postby webcommunic8or » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Anyone tried the Vectra 3D? What do the vets out there think? I currently use K9 Advantix, but I have heard about Vectra 3D and it seems to treat more bugs/parasites etc. What are the side affect? Anyone recommend it?

2nd question - Who applies the K9 Advantix etc 12 months a year? I am from Wisconsin - any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!

Matt
webcommunic8or
Started
Started

Re: Tick/Flea Meds. Vectra 3D vs K9 Advantix

Postby fireflyweims1 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:15 pm

I use Vectra 3D and also work at a clinic that recommends it almost exclusively. I love it, it is less greasy than Frontline and other topicals I have used and dries faster too. I haven't had any side effects with my 3 personal dogs and the only thing I have seen in the clinic is some of the toy dogs itch after application. Nothing with the big dogs yet. I have had ticks walking on my dogs but nothing attached. No fleas either. It does work on mosquitos and biting flies too. We also just used it on a couple puppies with ear ticks today.
LeslieAnn
Firefly Weimaraners
BISS/Int'l & AM CH. VW Nightshadows Silver River CD RN 12/99-06/09
U-CH NSs Laughin Out Loud At Firefly RN
U-CH Cherrystone Firefly Island Tea, NAVHDA NA Prz 1, 112
fireflyweims1
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby svr » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:30 am

I have used both products. The frontline topical irritated my dogs skin. A GSP. My vet suggested the Vectra 3D because it dried quicker and to a powder. I have not had any skin irritations with this product. I haven't had any issues with fleas, ticks, or other bugs on my dogs with this product. I do train occasionally at Bong red area in WI.
svr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby mcclinj » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:20 pm

I just started using Vectra 3D, so I don't have any long term results on it yet. I did train my pup with some other dogs at a NAVHDA event last month where several of the dogs ended up with multiple ticks on them. My pup came away clean, although could have just been coincidence.

-John
mcclinj

Postby Coveyrise64 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm

webcommunic8or wrote:Anyone tried the Vectra 3D? What do the vets out there think? I currently use K9 Advantix, but I have heard about Vectra 3D and it seems to treat more bugs/parasites etc. What are the side affect? Anyone recommend it?

2nd question - Who applies the K9 Advantix etc 12 months a year? I am from Wisconsin - any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!!

Matt

If your talking about K9 Advantix II and comparing it to Vectra 3-D, the primary insecticide is the same (Permethrin). I haven't used either one and I am looking at Bio-Spot as well (huge cost difference). The primary insectide in Bio-spot is also Permethrin.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

"There are always going to be those who prefer to freeze in the dark rather than put forth the effort to light a fire." ~ Lvrdg07
Coveyrise64
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby GRIFF MAN » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 am

Not to highjack the post....but I will :D

I was looking for good deals on Advantix and while I was looking saw that some places sell a generic to the advantix. Apparently the license came due last year on the Advantix and now it can be copied and sold as a generic.
There is a BIG cost difference, but effectiveness and saftey are first.

Has anyone tried the generic Advantix ?

GriffMan

OH to answer your question I am a Wisconsinite and I do NOT use the topical 12 months. March - November is when I use it.
GRIFF MAN * LOVING LIFE AND MY GRIFF!

Aspen Glo's Kennels
Wirehaired Pointing Griffons
www.aspenglokennel.com
GRIFF MAN
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby koro » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:42 pm

I have a mixed breed rescue that had a very sudden and drastic surge in energy and anxiety after I switched to Vectra 3D. She also kept rolling and itching on the floor immediately after I applied it and the next day. After investigating online I am discovering she is not alone in having this type of reaction to Vectra. We will not be using Vectra 3D again.
koro
Pup
Pup

Postby mgrucker » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:07 am

I've only used Vectra 3D because that's what my vet recommended but have had no issues with it. Throughout the summer we were out in fields or parks 3-5 times a week and the few times I found ticks (maybe 3 total) they were on his coat, not attached.
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Return to Healthcare