Pudelpointer is overheating

Diseases, proactive care, geriatric issues, etc.

Moderator: Moderator Pack

Pudelpointer is overheating

Postby mcmigraine » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm just wondering if any other PP owners have had this problem. It seems like anything over about 60 degrees and my 2 1/2 year old is overheating. If the temp is below that he can go strong all day. The other day was 70 and we hunted for 15minutes and he was done. He has tremendous drive and wants to keep going but I won't let him. He'll come for water and let out a few yelps, tongue about dragging on the ground, and appears drunk. My buddies dog is barely panting. I realize 70 is a bit warm but this isn't normal. He gets a lot of exercise and is in otherwise excellent shape.
Saw the vet today and his blood work is normal. The next option is more tests (EKG etc) and a lot more $$$. She is unfamiliar with the breed and thought this might be a good idea to ask other owners.
Thanks
mcmigraine
Pup
Pup

Re: Pudelpointer is overheating

Postby mgrucker » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:09 am

I only know about my own single pudelpointer with a very short coat but that does not seem normal to me at all. My dog does pant heavier than the labs we hunt with though. My first thought is wondering if you are misinterpreting how hot he is but the "appears drunk" mention seems concerning and it's better to be safe than to ignore it. Have you actually checked his temperature when he's doing this?
mgrucker
Seasoned
Seasoned

Postby ryanr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:45 am

Isn't normal? I beg to differ, that yes it is. I have a Drahthaar and have specifically read that anything over 55 degrees is hot for most Drahthaars. 70 is flat out hot! Drahthaars and Pudelpointers (one of the foundation breeds for the Drahthaar) are quite similar in that regard. I train and run my dogs all year and they are maintained in hunting shape year round. I can tell you that sunny or humid days of 60 degrees or more and my dog is feeling the heat very quickly. I try to keep him well hydrated starting well BEFORE the hunt or training day, as well as of course during it. Our training fields all either have a cold trout stream, pond or lake next to them and each training run and the close of each training day end with cooling off in these waters. Early season this year has so far been very warm and my choice of hunting spots have all purposely been along creeks or swamp edges to keep the dog wet and as cool as possible.

I'm not telling you not to get a vet checkup or tests but that over 55 degrees and higher is warm to even hot for these breeds.
ryanr
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby orhunter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:58 am

Watch the color of the dog's tongue. If it's getting sort of purple, your dog is way too hot.

My Griff will work up a good pant when the temperature is above 20.
SARCASM, one of the many free services I offer
orhunter
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby JONOV » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:41 pm

ryanr wrote:Isn't normal? I beg to differ, that yes it is. I have a Drahthaar and have specifically read that anything over 55 degrees is hot for most Drahthaars. 70 is flat out hot! Drahthaars and Pudelpointers (one of the foundation breeds for the Drahthaar) are quite similar in that regard. I train and run my dogs all year and they are maintained in hunting shape year round. I can tell you that sunny or humid days of 60 degrees or more and my dog is feeling the heat very quickly. I try to keep him well hydrated starting well BEFORE the hunt or training day, as well as of course during it. Our training fields all either have a cold trout stream, pond or lake next to them and each training run and the close of each training day end with cooling off in these waters. Early season this year has so far been very warm and my choice of hunting spots have all purposely been along creeks or swamp edges to keep the dog wet and as cool as possible.

I'm not telling you not to get a vet checkup or tests but that over 55 degrees and higher is warm to even hot for these breeds.

Done after 15 minutes though?

I live in N.C. and can take my shaggy and black GWP for an hour walk off leash in the dead of summer and he’s game for all of it....

He’ll pant after chasing a squirrel or ten minutes of running around outside but he’s not done. I don’t think that 15 minutes of energy before running out of gas is normal.

Have you talked to the breeder?

I keep about half of our walk along a creek or stream and he’ll wade in halfway through sometimes. I guess I mean it’s normal for them to be hot but done after 15 minutes?
JONOV
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby twistedoak » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:19 pm

15 min in the sun? maybe
I shut my griff down at 70 on shady days .
preferably its no warmer then 50 but I need to carry lots of water.
twistedoak
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Dakotazeb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Couple of questions: First, is the dog over weight at all? Secondly, when are you feeding your dog?

Excess weight will certainly cause the dog to heat up faster. And you should be hunting and/or running him an empty stomach. One feeding the evening before the hunt and nothing the day of the hunt until the hunt is over. If a dog has food in it's stomach it will run hotter trying to digest the food.
Janees August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle
1X NSTRA Champion
2008-2016
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5
Dakotazeb
Master Poster
Master Poster

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 am

My dogs were hot and drank nearly a gallon of water and it was 34 degrees yesterday.

70 is warm for a hard charging dog, and I only hunt weather like that when we are near a creek or pond where they can swim.
Vivian II vom Jagdkonig- VJP 71 HZP 191 VGP 262 Prize III
Arabella vom Hoheren Boden- VJP 74 HZP 181/189 VGP 281 Prize I
Misskiwi67
Champion Poster
Champion Poster

Postby mcmigraine » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Thank you everyone for your input!
mcmigraine
Pup
Pup

Return to Healthcare